BowFishing Country banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been talking about building for a few months and just picking up motors now so when I have Tim and working near home again it will be ready I'm planing on building a 1770 with 28 inch sides 200 or larger outboard jet and a kicker 9.9. I was planing on making everything 1/8inch but getting an opinions on if I should use 3/16 for bottom? What is the weight difference

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Brace it right and 1/8 will be plenty.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I just got a quote from Pierce last week. Had Frank price me for a 2072 with 1/8 and 3/16 bottom. The price difference was $300. Id really like to save $300, but my fear of regret trumps my desire to save a few bucks. Figure if I don't try to cut any corners it'll be a boat that will last a lifetime and I can hopefully pass on to my son some day.

·
Super Moderator
2,372 Posts
I'd go 3/16". Especially if your going with a jet. Shallow waters at speeds can ruin the bottom of a boat quick.

·
Registered
357 Posts
The weight difference between 1/8 and 3/16 won't be an issue at all on a boat of that size. I'd definitely go with the 3/16 bottom if u can

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Sooo why do you want to add a bunch of weight for? I've always thought that you should want a boat as light as possible? Am I missing something?

·
Premium Member
7,659 Posts
Sooo why do you want to add a bunch of weight for? I've always thought that you should want a boat as light as possible? Am I missing something?
With that logic would go .080 on the metal for bottom........:cf::cf:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What I ment by adding a lot of weight was a lot of bracing and hatches everywhere, 8 400 watt hps digital ballast a kicker 28 gallon tank live wells

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It will be a while just gathering thing so when I get the material I have everything ready to go buying a kicker off my buddy

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have ran seaarks and never had a problem with their hull. I often have the debate of thickness of hull but.. with a 3/16 hull you don't get any crimps. handling could be a PITA with a kicker. Payphone, you have hit everything a person can hit at west for customs. Hows your hull holding up? I think you have a express? How many guys have actually punctured a 1/8" hull? I guess it depends where you run. 90% of my fishing is done in lakes with mud bottoms. If I was running a Hershey river everyday id go 3/16.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
No crimps on the bottom is a good thing :) love me a slick bottom. Especially on a kicker

1 - 20 of 41 Posts