BowFishing Country banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys I figure im not the best electrician so I just wanted to ask you guys would I be wiring these lights like this diagram that I just drew up (instead of a battery it will be a generator) and the green line will be grounded to metal probably the aluminum deck if this isn't right or if I need to change something please say so thanks

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
yea, but be careful on how many you put on a single switch. and another thing is, you will most likely have a brown wire being your hot, blue being the neutral and a green/yellow being ground (or common).

·
Registered
910 Posts
The only wires on your switch should be hot and ground. The neutral will run straight from your generator to the lights.

You can run a lot of LED's on a single 120v switch. For switch sizing add the amperage of all the lights (eg. 1.2A + 1.2A + .... = X) and make sure that total doesn't exceed 80% of your switch's rating. Unless you have 50 LED's this shouldn't be a problem. A 100W LED only pulls 0.83A at 120v. Buy a 20A switch and you can have as many as 19 100W lights on the single switch.

·
Registered
529 Posts
If you do terminate the ground wire, I would suggest NOT grounding to your deck or hull. If you want to hook up a ground, then run it all the way back to your generator.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Do use the hull as a ground. If you do, a water based corrosion called electrolytes with take place. Insulate all the wires and contact points. Only thing that needs to be touching the hull is the Genny frame. Or light bases. Thats if you Genny has a metal frame. If not that's OK too.

Keep in mind.. On our boat if the Genny is running everything works, and you won't get shocked weather your on the boat, or standing in the water or on dry ground. BUT. If you working on the boat with wall power. Its Ok if your on the boat doing what ever. But if your standing on the ground and bear skin touches bear metal you might get a zap. Not bad. Just fells like a niddle poking you.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And should i use 14 or 16 guage wire ill probably put 4 50watt led lights to a marine rocker switch

·
Registered
221 Posts
I used 14-2 wire from Lowes. And I think it was just little over kill. If you go to west marine they have marine wire. Special marine wire is not necessary. But its stranded wire, not solid core like the wire at Lowes. So its easier to work with. Trying to get that soild core 14-2 wire inside 1/2in PVC was a b:;#%h.

·
Registered
384 Posts
The amp draw on each circuit will determine what gauge wire you need to run. But like others have stated, 50w led's at 120v only draw 0.41A so you could run 20 of them and only draw 8.3A total. 16 gauge would handle this, but I personally wouldn't run any less than 14 gauge just for future expansion.

I would also not use solid core wire, it's made for houses that don't move, not vibration intense vehicle like boats. Look for SJOOW (little cheaper) or SOOW wire at Lowes or Home Depot. It's the heavy black rubberized 'portable power cable' wire sold by the foot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts