BowFishing Country banner

121 - 140 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
This is an awesome project man. I love the whole setup, especially the light rail with the shin guard tubing. Great blue prints too!

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Thanks guys, it was a fun project. There are still some odds and ends to do on it when I'm bored, but it is water ready!
Shooter, we took it out last night and shot over 500 lbs of fish w 2 guys and it was floating plenty high. When we were loading out it was drafting 7 - 7.5 inches. This thing fishes a chit load better than my big xpress did! I had no idea how many fish we were being forced to pass up on the banks we couldn't get up to because of draft!!!
The actuator gets better than 360 degrees. And the joystick is awesome. I went with this after seeing CarpCommander's joystick controlled kicker. I have a fan build thread that tells all the particulars and has a full parts and price list.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
Well, here are the pics I promised. The boat performed and fished WAY beyond my expectations. Like I stated above, the amount of fish that we were passing up in my big Xpress due to draft issues was unreal. I had no idea...
At least half of that 55 gallon tub would've been safe in the shallows in the other rig.
Anyway, now that I know I am happy with how it fishes, my outboard search has been refined. I am now looking for a 4 stroke in the 40-50 hp range. Possibly a Yamaha if the right deal presents, however guys are proud of them. I am planning a stick steer or other means to keep the lower floor wide open.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
Well, the boredom got unbearable and I decided that I had to get an outboard mounted on the boat. I picked up a 40 HP Yamaha off Craigslist. I built a pod / offset to get the outboard back further and add a little floatation.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
After getting it mounted and the controls set up, we hit the lake. I was not too happy with the performance. It topped out at 29-30 mph with three guys and we had to move people and gear around to get it to plane out. That coupled with the buyers remorse for the Yamaha (2005 model with all controls for $2000) and I decided to resell it and look for more HP at a cheaper price.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
After I re-sold the Yamaha, I trolled Craigslist for a couple of weeks looking for an outboard that would work. Then I saw an ad for a 1960 something Skeeter. I looked at the picture just for grins and noticed on the back was a 1980s Johnson. Went down and ran the numbers and found out it was a 1982 Johnson 75 HP.....
Ended up picking up the boat, motor and trailer for $450.

121 - 140 of 174 Posts