BowFishing Country banner

141 - 160 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
I pulled the outboard off the hull and resold the hull and trailer 2 days later for $250 cash and a Taurus 8 shot 22 magnum revolver in chrome finish.....
I'm going to estimate at this point I have approx. $50 in my Johnson Outboard.
I ended up having good compression on all 3 cylinders, but no fire on the bottom plug. It ended up needing a new power pack. That cost me $125 new. Went ahead and replaced all the plugs, new impeller, lower unit oil swap, and a full carb rebuild. I spent $350 in parts which brings my total up to $400. Mounted the outboard and started it right up in the driveway. Tuned it up and tested tilt and trim. Everything was good to go!!!

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
We got it on the lake on a rough day. The boat jumped out of the hole and ran 44-45 mph trimmed all the way down. It could definitely go faster. I had some throttle left and a lot of trim. Honestly, this is fast enough!!

·
Registered
968 Posts
dude this thing is sick! Some how I missed this build until now. very cool setup

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Sweet build!

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Nice build. I'm curious, how do you like the stick steering? Have you added the Durabak yet and if so, hows it holding up? Any problems with staining? When you added the outboard does it interfere with the fan setup? By that I mean does it interfere with the blowing potential of the fan from being mounted so low? What are the specs on the fan? I like how you mounted the outboard on a large pod at the center of the boat and moved it back. It probably helps with performance and draft doing it that way.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
How hard was it to widen the boat? I'm tempted to buy a cheap 14 or 16-foot boat and try it for a river boat, something small and fast:D

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
Thanks guys, I think it fits what I wanted to do. Build something compact, and not break the bank while not giving up much on performance. And most importantly, leave my bass boat unmolested and ready to fish without having to switch my bowfishing gear over every time.
I will do something with the outboard, just not sure what yet. This boat wasn't really built for looks.
I have not done the durabak yet, I am waiting to make sure I am done with all the fabrication and that things are working as they should.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
I am really liking the steer stick. It handles the 75 hp with ease even though the steering is rated for 70 HP max or 90 HP jet. The only thing I still plan on is mounting a ram mount ball and transducer so I can switch my Lowrance HDS 9 back and forth from the bass rig to this one for night time navigation.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
Eshaw, the outboard has not hindered the fan's performance at all. One thing I did on the pod was slanted the bottom up toward the back so if I trimmed the outboard out of the water there was zero drag while turning the boat with the fan. The offset was calculated to make sure I could tilt the outboard all the way up and still turn the fan as always without interference. This outboard pod was inspired by the offset on my first Ranger bass boat. They had a huge offset built into the hull and it really helps performance.
Fan is a 25 HP Kohler and a 42" Competition Aircraft 4 Blade Direct Drive.
Jasonsuch, I'll scrounge my phone for progress pics of the pod build. It is built directly onto my transom bracing which is 1/4" channel across the top. The support structure within the pod itself is 1/8" wall 1 1/2" square tube wrapped in 1/8" alum sheet. The back sheet that the outboard actually mounts to is 1/4" aluminum.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
rjthehunter, it ended up being a lot of work to widen that hull. It was fun though because I had been laid off from the oil field and had plenty of time to kill anyway.....

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
And if this boat is anything it drafts high in the water, is super maneuverable, and is plenty fast. Maybe one day I'll tach it out and get a number....

141 - 160 of 174 Posts