BowFishing Country banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before;
image.jpg

Figured I'd start a build thread for my new deck as I go, should have the aluminum framing coming tomorrow, 1.5" square. Decided to go with expanded metal for the sheeting so I could stay lighter, it's a heavier gauge and 3/4" diamonds. 60" to 57" at the corners then angles to 13" for a center troller...

All electrical will go to a single box and control every light in the boat. Aswell as have an extra plug in for phone chargers or radio or what not... I'll take pics of how I run everything aswell...

Deck for now will have 4-150hps and 2-50w 120v LEDS... Then eventually I'll have 2 more 150's when the budget allows...

Railing will be 11" high with pipe wrap on the top rail to be a little easier on the shins if it happens... Floor will eventually get hydrofoam but for now it'll just be painted... Expanded will connect by bolt and washers and in between framing and floor I'll add rubber roofing to soften vibration and any rattling. I'll also line the rails with rubber roofing where the deck meets the boat, so I illinate even more vibes...

Started with a 60"x60" pc and measured and marked my metal for cutting.

Troller fitting
image.jpg
Pc on boat for measuring and cutting
image.jpg
Expanded cut to fit my needs
image.jpg
Deck I wanted to picture what the aluminum will look like with clearance so I used a 2x2 to get a jist on where my supports with have to be resting on the boat deck.
image.jpg

·
Super Moderator
7,652 Posts
Not a problem with expanded metal persay but before you get all welded up, drop an arrow,point down thru the metal and try to get out or pull it out in the dark, is a PITA...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I figured that, hopefully with the rope lights underneath and the 3/4" diamonds I may be ok, atleast til I get the hydro turf then I'll be golden!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well metal finally came today....
Just gotta add under deck supports, get it all welded (just bolted on so welder can just go to town on it) paint and fasten expanded metal, bolt to boat, wire all the lights and gooooo fishin!!!!!
boatbuild.jpg
boatbuild1.jpg
boatbuild2.jpg
boatbuild3.jpg
boatbuild4.jpg

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hahaha I put the expanded down fort to have an outline for my frame, got the metal cut to fit after the framing was up. More pics to come, hopefully I can get it all welded by Friday and wire it up that day and take er out that night...
image.jpg
Expanded metal removed for fitting and ready for welding...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
$75 aluminum 1" square tubing
$53 expanded metal 3/4" diamonds
$10 hardware
$50 electrical/ switch box, switches etc...

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am about to start a deck build on a 1648 and want to do a flush mount. Any reason you decided to go wider than the gunnel on the deck? It wont be a raised deck, correct?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am about to start a deck build on a 1648 and want to do a flush mount. Any reason you decided to go wider than the gunnel on the deck? It wont be a raised deck, correct?
I was pondering the troller mount in the center, and when I got to figuring I wanted a 13" gap for the troller, and if I were to make the deck come to a pt I'd actually be making the deck shorter. So I extended the frame 4" out away from the rails to give me extra room forward and wider.
Measurement go 60 1/8 to 57 3/4" then tapering to my 13" space.
Yeah it'll be a flush mount, I really enjoy being closer to the water, I just needed it a little wider and a tad liger and a permanent way to mount my lights compared to my old version. This layout I made I'm really liking the extra space it gives me without taking stability out if it...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well got some wiring done today, can't do the rest til I have the deck frame back from the welder.... Went with black paint on the expanded metal. Switch box is lookin more and more like a cluster F with each wire added haha.
image.jpg
Haven't decided where to put the caps yet....
image.jpg
Any ideas on where to put caps? I eventually want to make a ballast box but this deck and bowfishing gear has tapped me out for a bit haha

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I ended up recieving 1" tubing instead of the 1.5" but a 3 week wait prompted me to go ahead with just the 1". Welder said it should be done today so hopefully Ill have pics soon....

·
Registered
476 Posts
Are you using the hardware just to hold it all in place until it's welded?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah. Figured @ $70/hr for welding I saved a little cash by scrapping the blueprints and basically holding everything in place for the welder, won't be nothing but welds when it's done...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Gotta know someone that works for Fastenal. I've been really busy this weekend and just finished up all but the painting of the deck... I absolutely love this setup! Can now have 3 people up front- there's enough room now, and the expanded is actually really grippy. All in all I'm glad I built this.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts