BowFishing Country banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a tracker grizzly 1754 w/ a 40 hp merc on it. Where I duck hunt we only have one launch on the lake and it freezes up early because it is a narrow neck. Has anybody tried a fan boat for crossing ice. The ice is too thick to break with a boat. The main lake always has some amount of open water and the birds pack in there because nobody can get to them. Will a fan that will fit on this boat generate enough thrust to push across the ice and more importantly back onto the ice coming back?

Any advice on fan size, prop type and size and probability of success guesstimates are appreciated

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Afflicted posted a picture in my Swamp Chicken thread of some sort of an ice boat contraption. I bought a guy out that built airboats just to run on ice. To hear him tell it, you needed poly, lots of power, an ice brake, 1/4" hull, and whatever you do....Don't stop or the boat will freeze to the ice. He was kind of a blow hard though, so I'd say go for it.

·
Registered
482 Posts
your not going to have enough push to get up on the ice with a pusher fan. yeah Im sure if you start off on ice you might be able to. Your going to need an airboat for what your wanting to do.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Not trying to be a buzz kill but even when you get to where the birds are how are you going to "blind" them to your presence?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the replies.

eshaw - go out at o'dark thirty. Even if you go out in the light as long as you don't shoot at them when they jump up they will come back a lot of the time. Plus it's the only open water for miles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts