BowFishing Country banner

81 - 100 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
It's a fact. Absolutely won't work with anything else.

Drill holes or cut slits in your floor and plug weld it if you are going to weld the edges. Easy peasy.

Lookin good!

·
Registered
604 Posts
Couldn't you cut slots in your flooring above the ribs and then weld the floor to the rib? Just suggesting that because that's how mine was done.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #83 (Edited)
Welded up the fan shroud and deck mounts. Just not getting as much time to work on it as I'd like(kids are a time sink!), but its coming along. Got a hankering to test out the fan control system and it works great! I need to do a little tweaking in terms of limits and the PID control values, but overall its going to be kick bass when its all said and done.

For testing, I was limiting the voltage and current so that's why things are a little on the slow side and there is overshoot since I didn't mess with the PID control too much. Its insanely fast when the limits get pulled off!

image.jpg

·
Registered
968 Posts
Welded up the fan shroud and deck mounts. Just not getting as much time to work on it as I'd like(kids are a time sink!), but its coming along. Got a hankering to test out the fan control system and it works great! I need to do a little tweaking in terms of limits and the PID control values, but overall its going to be kick bass when its all said and done.

For testing, I was limiting the voltage and current so that's why things are a little on the slow side and there is overshoot since I didn't mess with the PID control too much. Its insanely fast when the limits get pulled off!

View attachment 188057

This is sweet!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Also, I'm planning on welding the floor in, but that means I won't be able to secure it in the center of the boat, unless I cut some slits or something to hit the rib. Do people screw or rivet the center to prevent the floor from making noise when walking on it or just weld the sides and leave it as is?

AND...for the other jet jon folks, did you guys run with any sort of screen for the jet intake? I don't have one and thought about building it, but I'm not sure at this point. Anyone have problems with weeds and crap getting in there and wrapped so tightly you couldn't get them out? My in-laws SeaDoo has a nice rake that clears things, but this boat is an experiment, and, to be honest, I don't want to put the time into a screen for minimal returns.
The best method of clearing weeds would be an intake grate like the mercury sport jet that has a foot pedal to clear things. I just made sure to put my intake far enough back that I could reach under without swimming. As a rule stay away from weeds, but if you have to, use your fan to get through them.. What I WOULD do is put a jabsco in-line water strainer, so that if you do go through some muck on top it won't clog your water cooling passageways on your head. I used a 1/2" inline strainer with a heavy grate, that way any time I go through mud and sand I check to see if the engine is still spitting hot water, and if it isn't I dump my strainer. then go again.

·
Registered
246 Posts
oh okay! what kind of bearing is it? did you machine out the pullys to fit the shaft? the only shaft size I see on the L series pulleys is 1/2 inch.
sorry for so many questions I just haven't seen anyone make a reduction instead of using an arrow prop reduction so it looks like it could save some money vs a 1000 dollar kit!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
oh okay! what kind of bearing is it? did you machine out the pullys to fit the shaft? the only shaft size I see on the L series pulleys is 1/2 inch.
sorry for so many questions I just haven't seen anyone make a reduction instead of using an arrow prop reduction so it looks like it could save some money vs a 1000 dollar kit!

No prob with the questions.

I'm running a 2:1 reduction.

The bearing was just a simple, 1" bore, fully-sealed that I had laying around from some other project. The pocket was machined to work as a press-fit. The bearing just pops right in. I needed to add the second bearing since I needed to get the fan stuck out a ways, due to the jet engine housing. As for the pulleys, I use the Quick-Disconnect (QD) L-Series pulleys that accommodate JA & SDS style bushings. The bushings allow you to utilize all sorts of shaft diameters (I'm using a 1" shaft diameter to match the prop). I'm also using a 1" wide pulley. You can use this to help with width selection: http://www.sdp-si.com/D265/PDF/D265T146.pdf I went way overkill at 1" wide, but I wanted durability so I never needed to worry about it (though I'm still packing a spare).

These are the PN's I ordered from McMaster (mostly for convenience and quality (All the other bearing and stuff were purchased elsewhere, to save on cost. Check out the Big Bearing Store - Great selection and great to work with over the phone):

Quick-Disconnect (QD) Bushings JA: 6086K31
Quick-Disconnect (QD) Bushings SDS: 6086K33
L-Series Pulley Small: 6495K411
L-Series Pulley Large: 6495K419
Timing belt: 6484K346

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
The best method of clearing weeds would be an intake grate like the mercury sport jet that has a foot pedal to clear things. I just made sure to put my intake far enough back that I could reach under without swimming. As a rule stay away from weeds, but if you have to, use your fan to get through them.. What I WOULD do is put a jabsco in-line water strainer, so that if you do go through some muck on top it won't clog your water cooling passageways on your head. I used a 1/2" inline strainer with a heavy grate, that way any time I go through mud and sand I check to see if the engine is still spitting hot water, and if it isn't I dump my strainer. then go again.
How do you see if your engine is spitting? Did your ski come plumbed for that? Mine intakes and spits in the jet stream, unless I decide to get creative....

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Haven't run it with everything hooked up yet. Still finishing up a few things, but I'm hoping to get around to it sooner, rather than later.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I've got the same Mon-Ark 1852. Want to put diamond plate in the floor like you did. Would love to put a jet motor on it too, but I don't have that kinda funds at the moment

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Have you had a chance to run the jet on the water yet? Is the size adequate to push you boat the way you wanted? I've been researching inboard jets is why I ask. Looks like you're still making some headway on it, looking good.

·
Registered
538 Posts
How do you see if your engine is spitting? Did your ski come plumbed for that? Mine intakes and spits in the jet stream, unless I decide to get creative....
I capped the hole off at the jet tunnel, and moved and extended the hot water outlet to a thru-hull fitting on the driver side of the boat, so I can look over my shoulder to see if its spitting.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
I still haven't tested the jet. It's more exciting just building away and hoping it goes right when you're done, lol. Real reasons are priorities in that I can realistically get out shooting by the weekend if I just focus on getting the fan, deck, and lights complete, then I can work on finishing the jet.

On that note, the flip down pedestal for the fan control is coming along...

IMG_0043.JPG

IMG_0044.JPG

81 - 100 of 128 Posts