BowFishing Country banner

101 - 120 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I know that these engines aren't made for high revs but are you going to put a rev limiter on it? What is the rev limit for these engines? It's a nice quiet setup that's for sure!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #106 (Edited)
Added some much needed support to the fan shroud and modded part of the reduction plate for a better fit. I also replaced the carb (for the third time) with a brand spanking new one, along with all new gaskets, and replumbed the fuel line return setup. The various old carbs would work here and there but I couldn't get one that made this old thing run nicely or consistently. On top of that I was getting some fuel starvation issues, hence the fuel line rework. What a world of difference! It purrs like a kitten and revs up with no problems.

IMG_0184.JPG

IMG_0185.JPG

Things have been slow but I'm trying to get back at it. The crowning achievement today was when I was on the ladder, wrenching on the shroud, and I dropped the wrench. I asked my 18 month old son to grab it for me. He set down the bolt and hose adapter he was playing with, lays flat on his belly (we were being manly men and working without our shirts), reached his little fingers under the step of the ladder and gets up and hands me the wrench. The he went right back to playing with his bolt and adapter. It made my day, my week, the season. I don't care how often I get out this year anymore, that one moment was worth it. I was yelling for the wife about how he was officially my little helper now and generally hopping with joy. For those of you without kids, I'm sure it's tough to understand why I tossed the boat to the side when this little guy came nearly two years ago, or why it's such a big deal to me for such a small moment with a kid grabbing a wrench, but the if you are fortunate to have kids someday, remember this post, because then you'll understand just how amazing it is!

I'm done with my little deal there. I how everyone has an amazing night, and try to spread a little more happiness in the world right now.

·
Registered
430 Posts
X1000 on kids making everything better. My 2 are 12 and 7 now and love going out on the boat to shoot fish. My son (12) can outshoot me most days and my daughter (7) hasn't hit a fish yet but loves taking her kids bow and shoot at them. Nothing in the world makes me happier. Id take an hour on the water not seeing anything with them over shooting my biggest fish with my buddies.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
I know that these engines aren't made for high revs but are you going to put a rev limiter on it? What is the rev limit for these engines? It's a nice quiet setup that's for sure!
Sorry I missed this before. I have a tach hooked up to ensure I don't over rev it. The prop itself if pitched to prevent overspeeding. I'm only going to run it up to 2800 RPM (via adjusting pitch blocks, as needed); I think my book says it is rated to 3600 RPM, same as any other small engine.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Kids make life much better (most times). My son is 5 and he is all about this bowfishing stuff. I've taken him out a few times already and he is always askin when he can go again. When we have trouble getting him to eat all his food, I find he eats better when I tell him there are gar and carp on his plate....then he takes his fork and turns it into an arrow, and goes to stabbing his "fish" and eats everything off his plate!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Just running the fan up and down, trying to get the carb adjusted. Shortly after shooting this, I shredded the drive belt, ARGH!!! It's not easy to change it so that'll end up taking a couple hours to swap out. Its my own fault as I think I had the tension a little too tight.

Since this boat was an experiment, and I feel I've got a good handle on how to build a fan the correct way, I'm nearly at the point where I'm going to remove the whole fan setup, finish out the jet and console portion of the boat, and sell it off as a bowfishing jet jon. I've already been talking with John Huebl about building me a custom 1880 and I'm getting pretty excited. We'll see how things turn out and how anxious I get!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm sitting here wondering how this thing runs on the water! Both sides of it... At the moment I am looking at a fan build and considering this engine but can't find much info on them actually being ran.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
Quick Update:

I haven't touched this thing in quite some time. I traded off the fan for a smaller boat that was fully setup. I wasn't happy with the fan in the first place and was tired of messing with it. I figured the trade would get me moving on getting the jet up and running. Well, I now have two kids and less time than ever, but I'm getting the itch to start working on stuff so as soon as we stop getting all this snow I'll be pulling the ol' girl up from the back and getting it going for the coming season.

I haven't updated in awhile since it seemed like BFC forums were dying. I hope that's not the case since this place was always my go to, not FB.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Welcome back man!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Good news today. Managed to find a Minn Kota Terrova 101 w/ copilot and sonar for $300!!! Guy said it came with a boat he bought and it didn’t work. Was told it needed a switch. I got it home, wired it up in the kitchen and everything works with no problems! The troller won’t turn on unless you release it from the travel position so maybe he only tried it in the travel position, never got it to work, and made up the needing a switch story? Don’t know and don’t care. I managed to get a desperately needed lucky find and I’m very grateful for it.

Now if only this weather would get a little better for working on the boat itself....

101 - 120 of 128 Posts