BowFishing Country banner

121 - 128 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
Who knows, maybe someone still uses the forums here. I sure do miss everyone being around. Anyway, I figured it was about time to getting this jet boat up and running. I’ve been working on it for the past couple days now. I’ve mounted steering controls, fwd/rev control, throttle, the start/stop/choke engine electrical, and some actual seating. I’m going to pull the carbs before I bother trying to run it since it’s been sitting for so many years now, but if weather cooperates I’m hoping to test run it sometime this coming week (if everything looks good with the carbs).

Better late than never for an update, right???

29D9CAF8-259A-4F87-A46B-F5255B19576D.jpeg

718557F3-9365-4477-AA91-556105764EDC.jpeg

5B25E7F6-27C2-4144-BE57-28B0D02DD8B8.jpeg

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Howdy Folks! Couple things for today. First, a video!!!!!

Jet Jon First Start

Second, I had it running a few times and then I couldn’t get it started for the rest of afternoon. I was thinking it was flooded but as I went through I became less convinced:
1) Pulled plugs and spun engine over to clean things out
2) Noticed water on #3 (bottom) plug so I rotated engine and blew air through until all the water was out - this leads me to believe that my head gasket and/or exhaust manifold gasket are bad, I’m getting them ordered tonight.
3) Cleaned the carbs earlier this week, drained the bowls again today and blew air through carbs after it wouldn’t start to clean any junk out that I could.
4) Lowered flow rate from the hose since I think this may have contributed to water in #3. Tried to start a number of times after doing this and never found water in #3 after this. Still going to order my gaskets
5) I left the plugs out and put the boat back in the garage to sit overnight, just in case it was flooded.
6) Compression guesstimate (my check valve in the gauge was busted so the needle wouldn’t hold and I was estimating where the needle was bouncing to) from earlier this week was 130, 120, 110 top to bottom. Not great, but it isn’t horrid enough to make it not run.
7) Spins like a top until you hit the choke. A little after you hit the choke, the starter is really chugging and working to spin that engine over, almost like it doesn’t have compression until the fuel gets pulled from the carbs when choked. I thought it was battery at first so I had it on a fully charged battery AND had it jumpered to the tractor at high idle to ensure there was enough juice there.
8 ) Spark tester showed spark all the way through to the end, though I can’t ensure it was a good, strong spark.

In the end, I’m not convinced it was flooded with as much air as I ran through everything, but I’m not 100% on that. I am fairly unfamiliar with marine engines in general so I would really love to hear from some of you folks as to what I’m missing and maybe what to try next. I just find it weird that it was running initially and got through a Gatorade bottle of fuel and then nothing.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Long story short, I finally tracked down the issue to the flywheel shearing the key at some point in time. I honestly don’t think it happened recently but rather when the engine was still in the ski. Regardless, I’ll need to keep an eye out for a new flywheel since this one is worn pretty well (I may take it to a machinist and see what they can do), but it is back together and running better than it ever has since I’ve owned it (hence the reason I think it may have sheared a long time ago in the ski and the timing was off).

Wiring is about done and organized. Engine cover has a gas strut on it to open and close. Seats and controls are finally fully bolted in. Generator racks are welded up and 90% complete in the boat.

I need to add some float pods, some additional LED lighting for the rear, and some bow holders.

I’ll post some pics in a bit.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
The ever important stereo And speakers installed. Can see it just behind the seats, mounted in the engine housing.

121 - 128 of 128 Posts