BowFishing Country banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a Johnson 55 hp that I've been working on for a while now and I cant seem to figure it out, the starter will engage and turn but it doesn't turn fast at all, it barely spins the flywheel at all and I've already replaced the battery leads and the lead from the solenoid to the starter and still no different, I've tried 3 different good batteries, tried bypassing the solenoid and it still wont spin any faster. the engine isn't in a bind or locked up either. I need some suggestions before I go crazy!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I haven't tried straight to the starter or off the motor, where do I ground the negative cable on the starter? Just clamp it onto the housing or the bolt tab?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay thanks, ill try it when I get home, I've tried it with the plugs out and its no different. Could the brushes on the starter be dirty or carbon build up be weakening the connection causing it to be slow?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
figured it out!! the tab that the ground was connected to was jb welded and painted over so the current wasn't getting a good ground! moved it to a different tab and she spun right up!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts