BowFishing Country banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have been thinking about doing this for over a year now and I finally decided after looking at boat builds on this site, that I am going to dive in and do my own. I am sure that I am going to be asking multiple questions along the process, but I have sold my 1648 war eagle and bought the material. So here goes nothing.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Is it gonna come out to 20' in length after you form the rake? I see you said you have a 72"x240" sheet, and i understand the transom will give you a few more inches, just not quite sure how much youll lose in length forming the rake.

·
Registered
968 Posts
:pop: I have always felt like I might be able to build a flatbottom but I know for a fact that if I tried to build a mod V I would screw up the cuts for the bottom pieces. I am interested to see how this one comes together. I like the fact that your doing 3/16 on the bottom and 1/8 on the sides. That is what I am planning on for my future build. also like the longitudinal T-bars!

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
This is a little off subject but I'm curious. I know it won't be a concern for you on this build but why is it when these fellas build flat bottoms they all seem to have slick bottoms, no chines at all? The only one I've seen that had chines was a reworked bottom on a Sea Ark that already had them. Is it because it's a little more work and not worth the effort to cost factor? I think that sliding in a turn would be fun for a while but get old after the fun factor wore off. I understand when poly is going to be applied why you wouldn't want them.

·
Super Moderator
2,372 Posts
This is a little off subject but I'm curious. I know it won't be a concern for you on this build but why is it when these fellas build flat bottoms they all seem to have slick bottoms, no chines at all? The only one I've seen that had chines was a reworked bottom on a Sea Ark that already had them. Is it because it's a little more work and not worth the effort to cost factor? I think that sliding in a turn would be fun for a while but get old after the fun factor wore off. I understand when poly is going to be applied why you wouldn't want them.
I can't answer for anyone else, but I kept mine slick b/c it was a fan boat and didn't want any interference with turning while rubbing bottom.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am planning on adding chines on the sides, but a lot of boats have the bottoms crimped because welding additional chines is a lot of work and the more you weld the weaker the aluminum gets. I want closer to a 72 inch bottom and the more crimps you put in the bottom, the shorter it becomes. It is something I have considered, and may possibly do in the future depending on how it handles in the water. However, I don't plan on doing it until I see how it does.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I built this jig this morning. I just got word that my bottom has arrived and I will be waiting on it to be crimped. I am planning on doing an 8 degree bend, so a 4 degree dead rise. jig small.jpg

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeah. we will be there. So will the guys who bought my old boat! Just got the sides picked up after being crimped. The bottom just got dropped off to be creased too. The sides look awesome. I will post pics in a few.

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
jig looks familiar, you only need about 14'jig though for a 20' boat. once you cut the center notch and pull up the rake it wont be touching the jig anymore. if you want to keep as much length as possible don't pull the rake up as high as I did. those measurements I give you will pull up to 28" easily. id consider only pulling up to 18-20" adding a front angled piece like a seaArk does. this will keep a lot of length to the boat. I pulled mine all the way up and lost 6" in length. good luck message me if you need help.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 20 of 135 Posts