BowFishing Country banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I thought it would be handy to post up my fan build with a detailed parts list and cost sheet attached. The fan I built is a Kohler 25 hp motor with a direct drive competition aircraft 4 blade prop with 16 degree pitch.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The pics show the profile of my build. The fan is pushing my Xpress 21DC bass boat. The deck and fan are removable within an hour. I have 2 electric winches in my shop that lift them out of place and store them in the rafters when I want to bass fish.
To pull into my shop (I have 8' doors) the front control folds over onto the deck and the fan stand does the same. Once inside I quickly stand the fan back up.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The fan steering and throttle are controlled by electric actuators.
Fuel is pushed off the main fuel cell for the boat to the generator and fan by a K&N low pressure fuel pump.
On the drivers side bottom of the fan stand is an electrical box. All the wires have quick disconnects on them so they can be quickly unplugged when removing the deck and fan for storage.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Top of fan stand. I slotted the top so I could adjust tension on the chain by simply swinging the Flange Bearing and retightening the bolt. I chose to bolt up my riser pipe so that the fan stand can be taken apart if necessary.
I did mount my engine on rubber engine mounts after seeing Whiteriverrambo doing this.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Couple of pics of the steering and actuator. I used a Warner Linear 6" stroke actuator for steering. The fan achieves better than 360 degrees of steering.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Above is a pic of my control stand. On the front is the ignition and a switch to cut all power to the two actuators when traveling. On top is the joystick (left and right for steering; up and down for throttle). I left a space on the left because I plan to add a DC control to be able to turn up or down the speed that the steering actuator works.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I chose to mount my tiny tach on the fan stand. My thought was once I know the engine won't over rev the prop, I don't need a constant eye on that.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have made a trip to the lake and everything worked perfectly. We covered at least 3X the water I ever did with my troller. There are a few things I will change / add:
Cage around the prop (Always in the works, just had to try it out)
DC control to keep the steering from being so jerky
Possibly remount the throttle control to the cage and the back of the motor
Add a beefier hinge to the fan stand for moving into the garage

Any other suggestions, please let me know. I am still in the development phase and will make changes that improve the set up.
It moves .7 to 1 mph at idle and topped out at 7.6 mph GPS Speeds.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts