BowFishing Country banner

41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
don't skimp on a shroud. make it tough as nails with expanded aluminum. don't use solid sheet around the outside it will only increase the blade noise. im using 3/4 square tubing.125 wall and .125 flat expanded on my new shroud. im sure you think you will go easy a be careful but so did I and had a prop come apart last year from a piece of driftwood falling into the shroud. that was scary as hell.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Thanks Whiteriverrambo! The fan stand is tall, but it is to dummy proof my set up. I have a hydraulic jack plate that is scissor style. It lifts the outboard WAY up. I built the stand high enough that at its highest point tilted just right the outboard cowling cannot come into contact with my fan shroud. When I get a few buddies on that boat strange stuff happens after we pop a top or two so I engineered to the worst case scenario.
As far as the shaft being bolted, I don't think I'll have an issue. There is a lot of shaft above and below that bolt. I actually had to use a polishing wheel to smooth down the shaft to fit inside that casing, then it had to be forced on so there is zero wiggle to it. That said, I do inspect everything before going out again to make sure there is no aluminum cracking or any other wear issues. I will ad that to the list!!
Thanks for the pointers!

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
The other reason the stand was built so high is that I can fully open the two hatches below it for access to my engine compartment.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
CPrice, shroud is in the works, just ran out of patience and had to fish it. Plus I wanted to put it on here so I could make any changes that y'all might see at the same time I'm building the shroud and be completely done with the fab work.
Cool. Great work, I just would hate to see a accident to take place.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
You're right CPrice. I had to kill it several times on test night out to keep the prop from hitting tree limbs. It won't go out again until it has a shroud. Aluminum and tubing roller are at the house waiting for this hitch to be over....

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I'm also going to look at dropping the stand as much as possible. I think Whiteriverrambo is right on that. I'm going to see what I can get away with and still be able to open the lower hatches around 3/4 of the way open and add some type of catch on the stand to hold them open since they won't be able to go full open and hold themselves up.
Thanks for all the suggestions guys!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
i'm in the works of setting my 19'x60" boat with a pusher on it, running a 101ilb thrust troller right now. I have a few questions about your build as far as setting it up. First, I'm not looking to spend big money planning a newer build in the next couple of years. Not looking for speed but in your opinion do you thing that the 16hp duromax that many have recommended will push it enough to shoot off of, it doesn't need to be fast just enough to troll and shoot fish off of but still move to around a little bit if there isn't fish. Now, i was wondering how you have your throttle set up on that joystick? Is it ran with a cable or how does it work? I can't quite figure that out. And i've tossed around the idea of doing an actuator, how fast does it turn the boat and is it efficient? Also, if it isn't too difficult could you send me a video of the actuator actually turning the sprocket. I'm just not too familiar with the electronic setup, my buddy runs a fan but it isn't powered by an actuator it's manual with a pole. So thanks for the help in advance.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
hca1197,
The throttle is controlled by a second, smaller actuator. You can see in one of my pictures that I built a bracket that holds the actuator then I simply bolted it into the throttle adjustment on the front of the engine.
As far as the steering, it'll spin that fan around fast enough that it made me nervous till I got used to it! I'm actually going to add a DC regulator so I can slow down the speed that the actuator rotates the fan. This will really help when other people on the boat take over driving duty if I need to do something else.
I can send you a video at some point, but right now I'm up in Wyoming working. It might be a while before I get home.
My build had the same goals you just stated. I basically wanted a more efficient trolling motor, not to run over a bunch of crap. I researched on this board for MONTHS, then I broke down and called Don at Arrow Prop. He answered all my questions and then some about what I actually needed. In the end, I still went with a little more HP than he said I had to have, but I found the Kohler for a deal and bought it. Save yourself a ton of time and call Don! Good luck!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the answers that clears some stuff up. Don't worry about the video if ya aren't getting home for a while. My biggest thing now is choosing a motor. And whether or not I wanna drop the extra cash on the boat and go with electric steering. It seems very efficient but also expensive for what I'm looking to spend on this setup. I'll have to give him a call. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Yea, the electric actuators are definitely not a must have. I just wanted to see if I could pull it off after seeing some of them set up that way on this forum. Plus, I wanted something that my 8 and 6 year old daughters could step in and run. Now if only I could get something simple enough that my bow fishing buddies were smart enough to run.....:laugh:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hahah I see ya there, I don't trust some of my buddies driving with my troller. I'll probably stay away from actuators on this boat and wait till my next. Now just to decide on a motor. I'm worried a 16hp won't push it well enough for me.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
UPDATE:
So after getting this fan going and reading some suggestions on here, I have made some changes to my set up. I haven't missed much fishing with all the rain and flooding around Fort Worth anyway. Below are the changes that I made with some pictures.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
One of the main things that I was unhappy with was the top of the fan stand was flexing when being steered, especially under full power. Everything was set on 3/16" aluminum sheet. I added a lot of support using some scrap 2" square tubing. I also took Kajun's advice and spread out my flange bearings that hold the large sprockets. Things are a lot more stout and there is no flex now!

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
The other change I made was to cut 13" off the stand height as suggested by Whiteriverrambo. This helped a ton in the rolling sensation when turning the boat especially. It all but eliminated that. I also gained top end speed from 7.6 mph GPS to 8.2 mph even after adding the shroud and cage!!

41 - 60 of 83 Posts