BowFishing Country banner

61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
I am still tweeking the system. I plan to add the DC steering speed adjustment and a nav light to the top of the shroud this week, but I am really happy with how it has turned out. I had never even been on a fan boat or seen one in person before this build, so I really appreciate the help. It is worth the effort.

·
Registered
319 Posts
That looks great! Nicely done!

Tickled to see your build include the 25 Command Pro and a 4 blade Comp with good results since I will have the same set up with a 45" fan for a little larger boat. I picked up a automotive door lock actuator that I will hook up to my ignition push to choke switch for cold starts.

What speed is your Warner? We have the same sprocket sizes. I've been considering adding a dampener but it's already getting crowded with the linear potentiometer.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Thanks guys, I am enjoying it!!

My Warner actuator is moving 2.5 - 2.7" per second. It spins that fan around in a hurry, that's for sure! It is a little jerky, but from what I can tell it is due to slack in the chain itself. I have it pulled tight with the sprockets, but the chain itself has play in it when changing direction. It's not bad, and the DC adjustment will fix it.
That DC controller wires in up front by the joystick, so it shouldn't add any clutter under my platform.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Mudfish, that sure might work!!
I'm going to install this DC dial today and if that doesn't cut it I'll pick up one of those as well. I was thinking about this the same as a pick up has a tensioner to keep the belt tight, but hadn't found one.

8 Posts
What is the cycle speed on this actuator and load weight, I have found some that are a little over 0.56in per second just wondering on this one and also does it turn the fan around fast enough?

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Thanks guys, I am enjoying it!!

My Warner actuator is moving 2.5 - 2.7" per second. It spins that fan around in a hurry, that's for sure! It is a little jerky, but from what I can tell it is due to slack in the chain itself. I have it pulled tight with the sprockets, but the chain itself has play in it when changing direction. It's not bad, and the DC adjustment will fix it.
That DC controller wires in up front by the joystick, so it shouldn't add any clutter under my platform.
if there is room an idler will adjust the slack.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm new around here and love all the info.
I have a question about fan height.
Besides fan rotation, does fan have to blow above out board for peak performance?
Trying to lower my overall height.
Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
the motor is heavy so lower is better particularly on some of the not so wide rigs!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does the fan blowing against the outboard hinder its performance? Boat is a 20/72 hopefully stable enough.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
I don't know if you looked at this entire thread, but the reason my fan was built so tall in the original pics was I was afraid of the outboard interrupting air flow and killing performance. As some on here suggested, I ended up lowering it down over 1' and could not tell the difference on performance. That said, most of the airflow is still missing the outboard....

·
Registered
319 Posts
Let me ask another question. I have the same joystick. If I understand correctly, each terminal on the joystick is rated for up to 10 amps. I believe my larger linear actuator is 4.7 amps max draw. Progressive Automations only provides a wiring diagram using relays rather than direct connections between the joystick & the actuator. Did you use relays in your build?

By the way, do you have a link to a YouTube video of your fan in action? Mine will be a few more weeks in the making so I'm anxious to see how mine may work since I have the same motor, fan, and controllers.

61 - 80 of 83 Posts