BowFishing Country banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently working on a 16x8 silverdollar style hull. Ive got a 2.55-1 stinger gear drive and my 80” superwide 3 blade will be in tom. My question is will my 5.3 work for this with a big cam and tuning or do i need to find a 6.0? Thanks

·
Registered
121 Posts
First of all, a big cam isn't what you want. I've fished off of several and that had the big cams ran the fish away. Yes, ran the fish away! The smoother the engine runs at lower rpm (idle) you'll see more fish. So when I built mine I went to a cam that had a lot of torque at the lowest possible rpm. Man this was the ticket! Smooth idle and lots of dead fish without spooking. Also, the boat will perform better. Most high performance cams don't get to its power band till it gets above 4500 rpm. This doesn't do the engine any favor. Remember, the harder you turn the engine, the shorter the life. Get yourself a towing cam or a marine cam. This will do the best

·
Registered
5 Posts
First of all, a big cam isn't what you want. I've fished off of several and that had the big cams ran the fish away. Yes, ran the fish away! The smoother the engine runs at lower rpm (idle) you'll see more fish. So when I built mine I went to a cam that had a lot of torque at the lowest possible rpm. Man this was the ticket! Smooth idle and lots of dead fish without spooking. Also, the boat will perform better. Most high performance cams don't get to its power band till it gets above 4500 rpm. This doesn't do the engine any favor. Remember, the harder you turn the engine, the shorter the life. Get yourself a towing cam or a marine cam. This will do the best
+1

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update.... bought a 150k mile lq4 6.0 and found a set of 799 heads. Tore engine down and am ordering parts slowly. Main goal for this boat is to move on sand. I live by the red river in north tx

1 - 8 of 8 Posts