BowFishing Country banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some people savor carp as a tasty treat ~ others not so much. While carp are relished by some, the fish is considered unpalatable by others ~ distasteful, boney, inedible trash.

The Illinois Department of Natural Resources and others are launching a media blitz to rename the fish and do a makeover of the fish's image to that of "a healthy delicious, organic, sustainable food source." It is hoped that a new name and enhanced image will increase the harvest of the invasive species from lakes and rivers. The proposed new name is scheduled to be released this June along with the start of the media campaign. See the following for information: usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2021/02/08/asian-carp-rebranding-fish-get-new-name-appeal-eaters/4430629001/ .

I'm not partial to any particular "new" name and not opposed to improving the public perception of carp ~ so long as the results do not infringe upon bowfishing.

Texas Jack

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
i saw that the other day. It’s only to rename the Asian carp. It’s to get more people interested in eating them hoping it will help eradicate them so I don’t see it affecting bow fishing any.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The article indicates the campaign will address "invasive Asian carp species — silver, bighead, grass and black carp." Hopefully, the results will not extend to the fish being reclassified as a game species; such action could adversely affect the rules pertaining to bowfishing.

Texas Jack

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
They already have other names! Silver Carp, Bighead Carp and Grass Carp. Just think of the amount of public tax dollars that are funding these moron's salary.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts