BowFishing Country banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, Continuing to advance my bowfishing efforts, I am looking to get some lighting for my boat. I will post the "style" of lighting rail I am looking at, BUT I have lighting info need! (Thanks for your help)
1. How do I know if I can do batteries or a Generator?
2. I am thinking about HPS lights, (simply because I have heard good things about them, but what size?) Is there a better option?

I will start there.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Part of me would like to stay with using Batteries, But my knowledge is limited!
HPS?, Light Bars??
Aslo, What color (Soft White?)

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Start with a search through the Lighting section.. You will find all of your answers PLUS some... Trust me ;)

·
Registered
599 Posts
HPS and running silent are like complete opposite ends of the spectrum.

My advice - closest thing i would go to running silent would be LEDs hooked up to a honda generator. Thing will run on economy mode, and it will be extremely quiet. Then u wont have to deal with all the weight and BS of running silent - like going home early.

·
Registered
968 Posts
If I was you I would completely abandon the idea of running silent. If quietness is your main priority then run leds off of an inverter generator, either a champion, honda, or yamaha. If brightness is your greatest priority then I would go with 250w or 400w hps.

·
Registered
357 Posts
HPS and running silent are like complete opposite ends of the spectrum.

My advice - closest thing i would go to running silent would be LEDs hooked up to a honda generator. Thing will run on economy mode, and it will be extremely quiet. Then u wont have to deal with all the weight and BS of running silent - like going home early.
X2!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If I was you I would completely abandon the idea of running silent. If quietness is your main priority then run leds off of an inverter generator, either a champion, honda, or yamaha. If brightness is your greatest priority then I would go with 250w or 400w hps.
Thanks, Is it just a simple matter of pluggin in the lights then? How do I know what size generator a person would need? (Told ya this was for idiots!) :laugh:

·
Registered
599 Posts
I run 4x400's from show-me bowfishing customs(housings) I run revolt digital dimmable ballasts(I never dim them) - This setup has been good to me.

If i started over i think i would look into bowfishing bills housing because they seem to be easier to open up and get to the bulb.

The smart guy's on here have told me that a 400 hps will put out about 470 watts, if i remember correctly.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Ok, the lights you get will be a certain wattage. Generators are rated at wattage output. So you need to make you sure get enough generator to runs the lights.

For instance, I run four of the 400 watt high pressure sodium (HPS) lights you've read about. So that's 1600 watts.

When looking at generators, be sure to find the "rated" output. Most are advertised with their max output. For instance, my Honda EU2000 is a "2000 watt" generator bc it can put out up to 2,000 watts. But in the specs it says it is rated at 1,600 watts for continuous use.

Custom HPS housings are available from several builders on here. Check the lighting sections threads.

Finally, you need some digital ballasts. One per housing/bulb. Same wattage as the bulb. I use Lumatek. I prefer "sealed" ballasts (no cooling fan) but many use the Revolts and others that have the fans with no issues.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I think you would be happy with a 2000 suitcase inverter - honda or yamaha - and a bunch of warm white leds.

You start talking 400 HPS, and having 1 2000 inverter kinda goes out the door...

BUT, you don't know what your budget is....SO SKY IS THE LIMIT... so grab yourself a 3000 honda inverter and 6 - 400 HPS

looking at about $3500 for that set up

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, the lights you get will be a certain wattage. Generators are rated at wattage output. So you need to make you sure get enough generator to runs the lights.

For instance, I run four of the 400 watt high pressure sodium (HPS) lights you've read about. So that's 1600 watts.

When looking at generators, be sure to find the "rated" output. Most are advertised with their max output. For instance, my Honda EU2000 is a "2000 watt" generator bc it can put out up to 2,000 watts. But in the specs it says it is rated at 1,600 watts for continuous use.

Custom HPS housings are available from several builders on here. Check the lighting sections threads.

Finally, you need some digital ballasts. One per housing/bulb. Same wattage as the bulb. I use Lumatek. I prefer "sealed" ballasts (no cooling fan) but many use the Revolts and others that have the fans with no issues.
Now that is helpful!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts