BowFishing Country banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Electrocutioner
6,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since it is commonplace nowdays to add a 55uf capacitor inline to reduce amp draw of the 150 watt HPS npf ballast Econolight fixtures a warning is in order.
Do not assume that since a 55uf cap is correct for that particular ballast/wattage combination that it is correct for any and all hps lights!!!
Ballast type, manufacturer and wattage determine correct cap size/uf rating.
Using a capacitor with a higher than required uf rating will increase amp draw and decrease ballast life.
Using a capacitor with a lower than required uf rating doesn't hurt the ballast but won't reduce amp draw as low as possible.
Optional/optimum capacitor rating is usually on the ballast tag.

·
Electrocutioner
6,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Suprising how many people read on her that you can add a 55uf cap to a 150 watt npf Econolight to cut amp draw in half and then assume that you can do the same with any light. I've seen people add a 55uf cap to lights that already had a cap and wonder what went wrong.lol

·
Electrocutioner
6,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm about to order caps for my 150 hps, which ones do I need to get? I have no clue on this.
As the thread says--depends on which lights you have.lol If you have the $40 +or- lights from Econolight they take a 55uf cap.

·
Registered
278 Posts
well that is the reason i couldn't run 4 on my chitty generac 2200 suitcase geny i guess

·
Registered
89 Posts
Also, If I am putting all of this in a ballast box, does the ignitor have to be in the fixture still or can it be 10ft from the light and still work correctly?

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Just bought some RAB 150 HPS lights. Has anyone ran these or are running these? If so what size capacitor (if any) did you put on them? I know I'll be able to check once I get the lights in but I'd rather get the info here and have it all ready to go for wiring in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Just bought some RAB 150 HPS lights. Has anyone ran these or are running these? If so what size capacitor (if any) did you put on them? I know I'll be able to check once I get the lights in but I'd rather get the info here and have it all ready to go for wiring in a couple of weeks.
I used 55uf caps on mine. I mounted them in a separate box instead of cramming them in the housing.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
If I order 150 watt hps from econo- light do they come ready to use with ballast in them or what?
You can use them when ever you want to with or without caps but caps will significantly reduce your amp draw.

·
Registered
69 Posts
What econolite are we talking about here? There's a cpl diff sites and I can't seem to find the right 150's I think.....

·
Registered
184 Posts
Wouldn't this cap be way to big for the 150w econolights? This cap is rated for 400w. From what I read it would make more of a draw? I'm very new and just trying to learn this stuff.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
it works! others you might need a 35 but those work best with a 55
Wouldn't this cap be way to big for the 150w econolights? This cap is rated for 400w. From what I read it would make more of a draw? I'm very new and just trying to learn this stuff.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Can someone tell me how many amps an econolight 150hps 6x9 with a capacitor king 55uf capacitor will draw at startup and once warmed up? The sticker on the light says 3.2 amps but that's without the capacitor.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Can someone tell me how many amps an econolight 150hps 6x9 with a capacitor king 55uf capacitor will draw at startup and once warmed up? The sticker on the light says 3.2 amps but that's without the capacitor.
Ohms law tells us it should be 1.2 amps, watts÷volts.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts