BowFishing Country banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brought up by BAA member and Past Vice- President BryanHughes:

I think a good discussion would be airboat etiquette, especially with the worlds coming to Guntersville where we've had trouble before.

·
Administrator
3,634 Posts
I went to a Michigan airboat meeting this past weekend and they have a law that states an airboat (which is any boat with prop out of the water) is to be at idle within I think 150 yards of a residents home. No db test. Why not make a rule like that? Maybe 200 yards?

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I went to a Michigan airboat meeting this past weekend and they have a law that states an airboat (which is any boat with prop out of the water) is to be at idle within I think 150 yards of a residents home. No db test. Why not make a rule like that? Maybe 200 yards?
That sound reasonable. :tu:

·
Registered
580 Posts
what really define's airboat etiquette?airboats really arent the problem here.its the guys who drive them who shouldnt be quilified to drive a hot dog cart...

·
Registered
594 Posts
what really define's airboat etiquette?airboats really arent the problem here.its the guys who drive them who shouldnt be quilified to drive a hot dog cart...
DC has a valid point, why try to have "rules" when there are some guys who will ignore them and do their own thing? It boils down to kids with daddys money, "this isnt my lake....what do I care?"

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Most of us who shoot tournaments other than on our home lakes, are pretty well behaved. Im not against pulling up to someone and telling em how its going to b if they are acting up. Guntersville is def not a lake we want to get banned from, and the law has openly shown their willingness to work with us.

·
Administrator
3,634 Posts
I agree wit dc and Cbowjones. It would be nice to set a type of law for all BAA worlds. We got kicked in the junk here in Ky also from all the blow boats. I know of a handfull of guys that will shoot around houses or camps and don't care that it pisses people off.

·
Administrator
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
guntersville problem is from what I understand a local who does not shoot the tournaments.....but since we are gathered, and can be found easily at the tournament take off's, it's easier to blame and get mad at the guys who are trying to be sincere....this is what I understand, but not 100%...bryan or mark can chime in on this one....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Airboat, Fanboat, or Troller, we all have generators and bright lights. (maybe just bright lights for the LED guys) We are giving our sport a black eye by fishing near houses, especially during big tournaments, when there are several boats on the water for 3 or 4 nights. I think there should be a set buffer zone around houses for all boats in BAA events. I think the title of this thread should be BOWFISHING etiquette at world championships,

·
Registered
232 Posts
Airboat, Fanboat, or Troller, we all have generators and bright lights. (maybe just bright lights for the LED guys) We are giving our sport a black eye by fishing near houses, especially during big tournaments, when there are several boats on the water for 3 or 4 nights. I think there should be a set buffer zone around houses for all boats in BAA events. I think the title of this thread should be BOWFISHING etiquette at world championships,
Agreed! An airboat at idle is no where near as annoying as a fan boat revving up and down. On a lake like Guntersville, bite the bullet and stay away from the population/houses. Make it well known, that any boat near these locations are NOT associated with BAA.

·
Administrator
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
there is a buffer zone of a few hundred yards already posted at every worlds event.....and also we ask for participants to stay away from camping grounds.....some lakes this is impossible with new houses being built off a point going into a large area of cove....we have had game and fish tell us that we are legal and do not worry about them, but we still try to show consideration.....These are brought up every worlds....in Lafitte, your asked to go by fish camps in the MIDDLE of nowhere at idle, and most do from what I have seen....we shut down on a few places last yr ourselves well out before we got within 400 yds....

·
Registered
944 Posts
I've barely got to be on here and fixing to head out of town again, but here's what I was getting at. Most of the problems have been at the big tournaments in the past where there's so many boats on the water all night for a few nights in a row. We have the local problems under control a lot better now than in the past. Most of the people that fish here regularly and have fished tournaments here in the past know what's going on, but I'm sure there will be some new folks that don't realize the seriousness of keeping the complaints down. We nearly lost our right to bowfishing on the lake a couple of years ago because of the noise complaints. I was able to meet with the mayor, city council and marine police to resolve the situation but we need to be on our best game. We have a set of red zone areas that you cannot be in at any time for a tournament mandated by the marine police. These include most of the problem areas, but just if you have an airboat, fan boat, or anything noisy we just need to stay away from populated areas and be conscious of things. There's a proposal up to the city council now about rezoning some of the lake to be residential, which will eliminate more duck hunting on the lake because of the noise. If they will get rid of duck hunting, I can promise they won't blink at bowfishing. I've been fortunate enough to have a good relationship with the city council, mayor and chamber of commerce so we have some allies, but all it takes is too many people jumping up and down and that will be it. We have 68,000 acres to fish on Guntersville and that much more on Lake Wheeler for the shoot, so there's plenty of water without causing problems. I think this will be an outstanding shoot, just want everybody to know what's up before they come, would like everybody to know beforehand. We have maps with the red zones posted at the Backwater Outdoors store and will have them for sale as well and anybody can call us at anytime with questions on any of it.

·
Administrator
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Tournament directors ALWAYS get to lay out red zones, and restrictions for their tournament, and the officers will add any when needed up to the time of take off to allow less controversy for the hosting tournament director to allow more tournaments and have compromise with the area for bowfishing.....so as bryan is saying for the worlds, it will be strictly enforced....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts