BowFishing Country banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sure wish there was a clearer line in the sand or better enforcement or something regarding legal boats in MN.

"You cannot make more than 65 decibels of noise on the "A" scale measured at a distance of 50 feet from the boat."

I am looking at getting a different boat next year. The way I read that, pusher fans should be illegal, mod exhaust mud motors should be illegal and airboats would definitely be illegal. You see pusher fans everywhere, a handful of mud motor rigs and I encountered an airboat fishing the same lake last week.

I have asked a couple different wardens and they just refer back to the regs. They didn't seem to know or care which way was up. I would sure hate to invest in an airboat only to find out they finally decided to enforce the decibel law.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have some inside info? Like I was saying, I would hate to order an airboat to find out they are banned in a year, but I would also hate to order a mud motor rig and find out I could have had an airboat.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not worried about the decibel level with a surface drive. I know with the standard muffler they pass the regulations so that would be a legal option. I would rather have an airboat though.

·
Registered
346 Posts
If you set your fan up correctly it is very easy to stay legal. We rarely have to have to go over 1/4 throttle and can hear the generators over the fan. Some of the loudest boats I have heard come from guys fishing with a mud motor or a pro-drive. Guessing people are hitting the throttle hard but we have heard them over our boat from the other side of the lake.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply Austin. I know the mod exhaust surface drives are way over the limit. With the factory exhaust they would be under while trolling and over at WOT like an outboard.

From my limited experience I think I prefer the control of the prop in the water of a surface drive vs the air with a pusher fan. Especially with wind. I also like being able to run on plane through shallower water with the surface drives instead of the outboard. Everything has it's drawbacks I guess. What I don't like is the limited top speed with the surface drives.

What are your thoughts on the guys running airboats? Are they just gambling hoping no one cares or is there some loop hole that makes it legal that I don't know about?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I know of a few guys that run airboats in Minnesota. I wish they were on here. But I know John Laska is getting an airboat in July and he lives in Winona and primarily fishing the Mississippi River. Grant aka Killin Time also has an airboat and lives by Rochester. I know he fishes the river and Wisconsin a lot too. There is a kid from the Alex area that lives in Fargo ND right now but he also has an airboat. If you have Facebook you could get in touch with those three. Otherwise I know a ton of guys that have fan boats.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Most of the guys that run airboats in MN spend most of their time on the river. From my understanding, the game wardens down there don’t really care if you are on the MN side with it as long as you aren’t causing problems. Not necessarily legal just not enforced. I know Dylan just got his but not sure if he uses it in MN or just in nd. Grant (killin time) had a lake boat that he used on mn inland lakes instead of his airboat, he sold it but one of his teammates just built a fan boat for that reason.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. I do not have Facebook. Sounds like too big of a gamble to order an airboat at this point. Especially after encountering one of the guys you mentioned above on an inland MN lake. From 2 1/2 miles, in a different bay, it sounded like a late model stock car rounding turn 3 from the grandstand. And that was over the top of my generators. I would love it if they would just open it up to airboats, it would make my decision easy, but I would think the homeowners would force the DNR to crack down on that pretty quick if it becomes a regular thing.

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
50 feet from the boat is a long ways in my op .... but if they aren't getting on the other people they probably wont get on to you or else they would have to start doing it to everyone. unless enough people start making a fuss they not going to do anything. in NC its illegal to fish from a boating doc but yet there is always someone on it ... it took an organized effort from multiple groups to just get the signs posted let alone get an officer out there to enforce it. i think you will be ok to get what you want

1 - 11 of 11 Posts