BowFishing Country banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I know this sounds stupid but how big of an anchor am I going to need? I'm going paddlefishing this weekend and need an anchor according to my friends that have done it up here before. I have an 18ft fiberglass boat i would guess it weighs around 2000lbs. Would a 20lb anchor be good or could I get by with a smaller one?

·
Premium Member
7,652 Posts
Nothing that big or heavy unless a mushroom anchor type, we use a small 6-8# danforth fluke style anchor like this , with a short section of chain and the rope works great on our 2072....

Like this style

image.jpg

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Yeah don't need a really heavy anchor but depends on the type of bottom. Also remember the more line you let out the easier it is for the anchor to hold bottom

·
Registered
462 Posts
Yeah don't need a really heavy anchor but depends on the type of bottom. Also remember the more line you let out the easier it is for the anchor to hold bottom
Yep, seven feet of line for every foot of water depth. Chain takes it down to five. Different anchors are made for different bottom types. Pick one that matches the area.

·
Registered
941 Posts
1 of yours 2 of mine by the way if you find them let me know :D:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Be careful where you anchor. Bowcarp has left several of his and my anchors stuck in the rocks.
Sounds like you guys need a rock anchor
Lot of guys weld rebar with a bus bar up top so you can pull the anchor out backwards I'll find a picture in a few

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
Box anchor for the win !!! .... not for rocks tho .... sorry just read threw

1 - 10 of 10 Posts