1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
8,591 Posts
I'm thinking they might work good for spooky bigheads :tu:

·
Administrator
8,591 Posts
Enough of the hijacking, this is lighting not Podunk.

·
Registered
74 Posts
idk it would look cool but it would be hard to see in muddy water with those

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
surely someone has tried it.speak up.:D

·
Registered
708 Posts
There was a thread (I think on the old forum before the crash) about a company making 400W black light bulbs for either MH or HPS fixtures. I was very interested in this. However, I am worried about two things. 1 is I think they would make every white/light colored thing in the water or on the bottow glow (rocks, trash, etc.) and that might be a distraction more than a help. Secondly, and I may sound like a p*ssy, but I would be concerned about UV reflection and eye damage. Might be totally unjustified, but it is a concern I have.

·
Banned
4,584 Posts
For high watt uv lights you need uv glasses so you don't burn your retna

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
You plan to wear tinted glasses at night? Seems like it would defeat the purpose...I think a blacklight would just help hide everything you're trying find.
don,t know for sure but they may have uv blockers that are not dark colored or not very much i know black lights makes certain things jump out at you we used to hunt gravel bars with them hoping to find presious stones diferent types of rocks will stand out never did get rich.:D

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
don,t know for sure but they may have uv blockers that are not dark colored or not very much i know black lights makes certain things jump out at you we used to hunt gravel bars with them hoping to find presious stones diferent types of rocks will stand out never did get rich.:D
Lol let me know if you do, my boat will be sponsored by Spencer's haha
Im under the understanding that black lights really only highlight white, at least that's all I've seen, and I know fish are dark on top specifically to blend with the darker bottom to hide them from aerial predators aka us. I think it would just be adding a problem to an already solved solution ya know?

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Like was mentioned before, the big white bucket mouths on bigheads would be in trouble but that's only if there was a non tinted lense you could look through while shooting over blacklights, which again, I think defeats the purpose because the tint is what protects you as far as I know.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Like was mentioned before, the big white bucket mouths on bigheads would be in trouble but that's only if there was a non tinted lense you could look through while shooting over blacklights, which again, I think defeats the purpose because the tint is what protects you as far as I know.
i don,t know all i understand about it either but the backs of fish are not all you see also i wonder if you mix a strong black light in with your other lights like a strong one on each side of boat how it would work with your other lights turned on or would they cancel out each other the dance floor guys might know about this but at least could see what they would do gold fish might jump in the boat.:D belive you can get blacklight in leds also.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Yeah but the color tapers to lighter or white bottom (so they blend with the lighter surface when seen from above) so I think you'd only see, depending on the fish, an inch +/- of highlighted area. And if it's a light bottom would never know until you rode over em. Or even worse, the white part contrats so we'll against a dark bottom that you aim for it and either miss a lot or have a lot of pulloffs from hitting them in a soft belly. I could be completely wrong, I've never tried it, but that's my thoughts on it. Flounder guys use em I think because the dark spots that are fish stand out against the light colored sand. But that's comparing shooting a pencil sized strip to a plate sized spot....idk just my thoughts on it.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Yeah but the color tapers to lighter or white bottom (so they blend with the lighter surface when seen from above) so I think you'd only see, depending on the fish, an inch +/- of highlighted area. And if it's a light bottom would never know until you rode over em. Or even worse, the white part contrats so we'll against a dark bottom that you aim for it and either miss a lot or have a lot of pulloffs from hitting them in a soft belly. I could be completely wrong, I've never tried it, but that's my thoughts on it. Flounder guys use em I think because the dark spots that are fish stand out against the light colored sand. But that's comparing shooting a pencil sized strip to a plate sized spot....idk just my thoughts on it.
maybe a flounder shooter will get on with us it would be nice if the eyes would stand out on the fish someone will just have to give it a try but if it were to work really outstanding reckon they would let us in on it.:D

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
There was a post last year with a dude running a black light in the yard looking for scorpions. Fish scales from cleaning the boat shined like crazy!
Scorpions glow green-yellow btw. They are carp colored...

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
There was a post last year with a dude running a black light in the yard looking for scorpions. Fish scales from cleaning the boat shined like crazy!
Scorpions glow green-yellow btw. They are carp colored...
thats encouraging we might have to give this a try a gold fish or carp might really show up and some of the gar clear water probably a must.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts