BowFishing Country banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Thursday, December 6, 2012, there will be a public meeting at the Plainfield, IN Public Library to discuss proposed rule changes for 2013. In one section it reads that bowfishing is permitted with the use of illumination, but later in the proposal it reads in a section point 2 that you can only bowfish from dawn until dusk. No other information is proposed or mentioned in relation to bowfishing at night or flow rates of the water that determine legal night areas from day. In no section does it mention the legality of night bowfishing, so when it reads that bowfishing is allowed only dawn to dusk, we have a problem. Everything else that is proposed is the same and well defined. The idea of the legality of night bowfishing is less than clear, to say the least. Team HBC believes it's in the best interest of the bowfishing community here in Indiana to attend this meeting as representatives of our sport. We will be taking the day off to attend, but we believe that the wording, or lack there of, is very much a threat to bowfishing at night, so we will be there. Anyone that would like to meet up with us or join us there let Tim or me know. If anyone has any information on this or can help clarify the way the proposal reads to ensure that we aren't reading into it incorrectly let us know. Let's represent fellas and stand united and strong to ensure we are allowed to continue doing what we love to do.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
If you think it would help to have people from outside of the state that enjoy shooting in Indian there, I would be glad to make the trip.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
For the non residents, let us know what we can do to help. I would be glad to send email or make phone calls to the right people if you give us a contact. I know it's not easy dealing with regulation changes, and more people they hear from the better (usually).

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Rob, if you want write us a letter and we will take it with us. I will be in contact with the Director of DNR over the next few weeks. I sure hope we'll be able to get these changes done. The future of night time Bowfishing on rivers in Indiana is in trouble and we will need any and all support.

·
Super Moderator
7,652 Posts
Section p, #2 thats the way I read it, but page 14 says you can take fish with the aid of artificial lites also. Thats the way all regs go are to complicated. I dont know the areas listed in M on pg 15 but why did they scratch off bowfishing in those areas or is it in Town, it sounded like it might be.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Rob, if you want write us a letter and we will take it with us. I will be in contact with the Director of DNR over the next few weeks. I sure hope we'll be able to get these changes done. The future of night time Bowfishing on rivers in Indiana is in trouble and we will need any and all support.
Will do.....

Do you guys have any idea why they have proposed these changes? The areas lost in section (m)? Day only rivers and streams(p,2)?

-After looking at this and trying to make sense of it, the way I interpret it is Artificial lighting can be used (b) on lakes for bowfishing (n).....since lakes don't have the sunrise to sunset line like in (p)
-(p) clearly states on rivers and streams bowfishing is only between sunrise and sunset....for whatever reason

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Rob thats the way I read it also... It sucks cause I have to burn a vacation day to attend this meetin. It's that only one I have left for the year ugh!!!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Count me in, I'll be there! I'll contact my fraternity brother that's a CO for Marion county to give me input on what might be going on.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I am more than willing to help write letters and contact folks too, but would like to have some answers as to why the rule changes are being proposed before writing anything. If you could get us some clarity on this matter, it would be nice. ALSO, I believe that it is very important to attack this problem while it is being proposed rather than after it hits the books for the first time--it will be much harder to remove/alter then!
Anybody wishing to speak, write, etc. needs to know all of the facts/stats going in to seem professional and knowledgeable.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Would this be a good time to also bring up shooting Drum?

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am more than willing to help write letters and contact folks too, but would like to have some answers as to why the rule changes are being proposed before writing anything. If you could get us some clarity on this matter, it would be nice. ALSO, I believe that it is very important to attack this problem while it is being proposed rather than after it hits the books for the first time--it will be much harder to remove/alter then!
Anybody wishing to speak, write, etc. needs to know all of the facts/stats going in to seem professional and knowledgeable.
We'll try to figure out what the source is and why and get back to everyone. Mark, this meeting is just about proposed changes. We have to submit the proposed change to the state to make the list that is being discussed at this meeting.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
IM From Indianapolis but moved and plan on Shooting All Night When I Visit, Aint Buildn This Boat For Nothn.... I Please Message Me If You come with solutions to this, only reasons i could think of bans of night time would be, safety i guess.... or accidental shots on trout salmon etc. but with out us cleanin out the carp those species wouldnt survive nor even be born.... if i can help please let me know...

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Just got an email from AMS Bowfishing about thier concers with the proposals... If ANYONE would like to email me a letter talking about your concerns, and benifits of night time bowfishing you can email me a letter at [email protected] and I will take it to the public hearing on December 6th... Refer to post 5 and follow link to learn about the situation Indiana is in. Thanks for you help in advance!!!! Sincerely Tim

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Can we put a STICKY on this? This is extremly important for the future of bowfishing in Indiana

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
And that Michigan just opened up its season to year around, no time constraints or flow rate restictions.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts