BowFishing Country banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Super Moderator
629 Posts
On Thursday, December 6, 2012, there will be a public meeting at the Plainfield, IN Public Library to discuss proposed rule changes for 2013. In one section it reads that bowfishing is permitted with the use of illumination, but later in the proposal it reads in a section point 2 that you can only bowfish from dawn until dusk. No other information is proposed or mentioned in relation to bowfishing at night or flow rates of the water that determine legal night areas from day. In no section does it mention the legality of night bowfishing, so when it reads that bowfishing is allowed only dawn to dusk, we have a problem. Everything else that is proposed is the same and well defined. The idea of the legality of night bowfishing is less than clear, to say the least. Team HBC believes it's in the best interest of the bowfishing community here in Indiana to attend this meeting as representatives of our sport. We will be taking the day off to attend, but we believe that the wording, or lack there of, is very much a threat to bowfishing at night, so we will be there. Anyone that would like to meet up with us or join us there let Tim or me know. If anyone has any information on this or can help clarify the way the proposal reads to ensure that we aren't reading into it incorrectly let us know. Let's represent fellas and stand united and strong to ensure we are allowed to continue doing what we love to do.
I just got off the phone with Indiana Chief Fisheries Biologist Bill James. I consider him a true friend in the IDNR since I have spent numerous hours on the phone with him over the last 3 years. He returned my call today since he has been out of town earlier this week. We talked about the proposals in question and this is his response... If you remember back 2 years ago there was a statute that read streams with a 1500cfs flow rate or less you could only bowfish daytime only. Anything over 1500 cfs was open to day and night fishing. The problem was no one...even conservation officers ..didnt know what streams were legal/illegal after dark. The state of IN removed the statute but failed to restate that those streams under 1500 cfs were open to daytime bowfishing, gigging and spearing. These streams have NEVER been open to nightime bowfishing under IN law. So the IDNR is simplifying the understanding of the law. Basically, the 8 major riverways(white, tippy,kankakee,st joseph, maunee and the rest in the statute) is open to bowfishing day or night. They are keeping closed to night fishing (which always have been) all tributaries that feed these waterways due the fragile nature of these ecosystems. Which means on of my favorite tributaries that I fish down here is still off limits. I am in the process of writing a proposal to be introduced at the meeting to include Pigeon creek, Little Pigeon, Panther Creek and the Black River down south due to the over abundance of Asian carp in these particular waterways. If anyone has any Asian infested tributes please post them here so that I can add them to my proposal. Thats basically the only way they will look at allowing more waterways added is if they are infested with silvers. Another proposal he asked me to work on is to make sure crossbows and bowfishing is re instated on sub section M of sportfishing methods 312 IAC 9-7-2. Bill stated stated that the only public comments taken need to be made in writing. to simplify this go to www.dnr.in.gov and submit comments throught the NRC tab. I will try to get a link posted shortly. I hope this clears a few things up and apologize taking so long for me to post this up...just wanted to talk to Bill and understand what is happening.
Another proposal I am introducing is a addition to the wanton waste law. I am working on a proposal that would allow a $1000 fine for illegal dumping of fish at public places if sites can be traced back to the culprit. Looking for additional thoughts to include on this....so please add your opinion.
Thank you,
Jason Greer
BAA State Rep

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Fowl great work!!! Do you think we still should so up to the public hearing?

·
Super Moderator
629 Posts
That would be up to you. As long as your comment is added to the nrc that is like you being there in person.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I just got off the phone with Indiana Chief Fisheries Biologist Bill James. I consider him a true friend in the IDNR since I have spent numerous hours on the phone with him over the last 3 years. He returned my call today since he has been out of town earlier this week. We talked about the proposals in question and this is his response... If you remember back 2 years ago there was a statute that read streams with a 1500cfs flow rate or less you could only bowfish daytime only. Anything over 1500 cfs was open to day and night fishing. The problem was no one...even conservation officers ..didnt know what streams were legal/illegal after dark. The state of IN removed the statute but failed to restate that those streams under 1500 cfs were open to daytime bowfishing, gigging and spearing. These streams have NEVER been open to nightime bowfishing under IN law. So the IDNR is simplifying the understanding of the law. Basically, the 8 major riverways(white, tippy,kankakee,st joseph, maunee and the rest in the statute) is open to bowfishing day or night. They are keeping closed to night fishing (which always have been) all tributaries that feed these waterways due the fragile nature of these ecosystems. Which means on of my favorite tributaries that I fish down here is still off limits. I am in the process of writing a proposal to be introduced at the meeting to include Pigeon creek, Little Pigeon, Panther Creek and the Black River down south due to the over abundance of Asian carp in these particular waterways. If anyone has any Asian infested tributes please post them here so that I can add them to my proposal. Thats basically the only way they will look at allowing more waterways added is if they are infested with silvers. Another proposal he asked me to work on is to make sure crossbows and bowfishing is re instated on sub section M of sportfishing methods 312 IAC 9-7-2. Bill stated stated that the only public comments taken need to be made in writing. to simplify this go to www.dnr.in.gov and submit comments throught the NRC tab. I will try to get a link posted shortly. I hope this clears a few things up and apologize taking so long for me to post this up...just wanted to talk to Bill and understand what is happening.
Another proposal I am introducing is a addition to the wanton waste law. I am working on a proposal that would allow a $1000 fine for illegal dumping of fish at public places if sites can be traced back to the culprit. Looking for additional thoughts to include on this....so please add your opinion.
Thank you,
Jason Greer
BAA State Rep
Fowl,,,,,Raccoon Creek, Sugar Creek and Otter Creek and Bruilletts Creek in the Terre Haute area of the Wabash are infested with ASIANS also...

·
Super Moderator
7,652 Posts
Their quote "They are keeping closed to night fishing (which always have been) all tributaries that feed these waterways due the fragile nature of these ecosystems. Which means on of my favorite tributaries that I fish down here is still off limits." What difference does it make to ban night fishing, but to allow day fishing to " protect" the fragile ecosystem if I am perfectly legal to run the same waterway with the same boat and motor and bowfish during the day there is no difference other than am doing it after dark with lights. Unless the real reason is populated with possible complaints from waterfront residents..my. 02 on that.

·
Super Moderator
7,652 Posts
We dont have crazy flow rate restrictions here but I see them as very subjective. I think I can figure math and you can have a 75 foot wide 10 foot deep creek/river barely flowing at a rate of 2 feet per second is 1500 cfs and is a pretty big piece of water, or a piece of water 30 ft wide and 5 ft deep and flowing fast at 10 feet per second is 1500 cfs also, but slow that rate to barely moving and 2ft per second is only 300 cfs but with either examples is more than enough water to run a boat in. And my example is with totally square dimensions not a real waterway with banks tapering down to deepest part in channel. We fish water and run up creeks just big enough and deep enough to squeeze the boat in and where we can go dictates where we can fish. I guess I don't see the point in that regulation.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Thank you,
Jason Greer
BAA State Rep
So in fact we are aloud to fish the larger rivers night or day? thats what im getting from that..Thank You for your research and talk with Bill , that is really good news, i hope you can get the tributaries cleared up on that also, and get Bows back to the sporting bracket!!! maybe after the proposal it will help the sport and more will join into it.
Thanks Jason!!!

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Rob I will print out what you emailed me and take it with me.

Please if ANYONE want to write something up please do an send it to me and I'll print it off or email the link Rob posted earlier Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
TTT!!!!! The hearing is tomorrow boys!!!! I took the day off work tomorrow so I can go to the hearing. If you are in the surrounding area you should go...

·
Registered
424 Posts
Im in..........

Bringing the daughter because she likes to go out too

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Can't make it tonight, so go out and help Tim represent...

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
I think you could make it!!!! :D it's only a 2 hour drive for ya. You could talk about the record breakin year... And other things!

·
Registered
324 Posts
please keep us posted on how the meeting goes unfortunately i am unable to go as well but all the people i bowfish with i work with and none of us could get off so as soon as someone knows something post it ..... Thanks

21 - 40 of 46 Posts