BowFishing Country banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
30-50lbs is all you need. I'm maxed out at 40 and I have had bows between 60-70lbs. There is no need to go that high

·
Registered
30 Posts
While the lower end of a 30 to 50 pound range is certainly adequate for bowfishing, I favor using a 50 pound recurve. Using a higher poundage during the four months or so of the year I'm constantly -- as my wife says -- bowfishing, helps maintain back muscles for the heavier poundage recurve I use during the fall hunting seasons.

Texas Jack

·
Registered
1 Posts
What is the minimum draw weight for a bow?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is a 70 lb bow hard to pull?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Is a 70 lb bow hard to pull?
Whether or not a 70 pound bow is hard to pull depends on several factors. A bow at that poundage would be difficult for most people. For bowfishing, such poundage is not needed, but some may use that weight to help stay in shape for fall hunting seasons. However, if ANY poundage is hard to pull, it should be reduced. I have friends who possess the strength to pull 70 pounds and more. Others through fitness conditioning and strength have worked up to that poundage.

If a person is able to pull 70 pounds, compound bows with their let off feature, would be easier ~ if you are able to draw past the let-off feature to reach the lower holding poundage. Recurve and longbows of course do not have a let- off feature, and users have to pull full weight all the way through including holding at full draw.

While most bowfishing does not require anything over 30 or so poundage, some state laws require a minimum of 40 or 45 pounds for deer hunting; some game animals such as elk and moose, may necessitate higher weight bows to help assure adequate arrow penetration.

A bow's poundage should be such that it can be comfortably drawn and held (shooting one should be fun!) and is heavy enough for the intended target.

Texas Jack

1 - 7 of 7 Posts