BowFishing Country banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Yall, I've posted on here before about wanting to be a welder/fabricator and about going to college, however, things have changed significantly since I made the plan to go to college. I won't go into detail there, because that would take up the whole page. So. Here's my story. I am 18 years old. Most would consider me Very young to be entering the workforce in this day and age. I have been around welding since I was a toddler, and would consider myself to be a skilled fabricator for my age. I have built several trailers, and countless other things over the years. I can weld very well with a stick welder, MIG welder, and have some experience with TIG. Now, it seems obvious that going to receive any form of higher education or experience in the fabrication field would be the correct answer to my predicament, but the circumstances won't allow it. Mostly in the form of financial problems. Fabrication is my passion and I am ready to start a career in this field, I need to know how to get my foot in the door. This isn't a sob story, just asking the honest opinions of some other good, hard working people.

·
Premium Member
7,652 Posts
I would go knock on some doors, there has to be some local welding or fab shops around your area tell them what you know and capable of and be be ready to back up what you preach and show off what you are capable of. I know the fab shop here local is very busy and constantly doing stuff for chicken plants Perdue,MountAire and Allens and many grain/feed mills, Kraft foods,Nabisco and Playtex are just a few I know they do work for. Even though you can weld or fabricate,what about any welding certifications ????? If like a lot of places it's hard to find good quality workers with good work ethics that show up on time and can be dependable and be counted to get the job done...good luck

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Join a building trades union, millwrights-ironworkers-Sheetmetal workers-boilermakes. The will pay you handsomely while you attend apprenticeship school.

·
Premium Member
7,652 Posts
Join a building trades union, millwrights-ironworkers-Sheetmetal workers-boilermakes. The will pay you handsomely while you attend apprenticeship school.
Would listen to this guy he knows what he's talking about, but not sure what they might have with local unions but definitely something to look into...

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I agree with what GBriggs said. One other option is the service. Make a career of it and you retire when you're 38. You can attend college while you serve and also set aside money towards college. Just throwing it out there.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Learn how to tig stainless steel pipe pretty good then join a union.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
If you want to really want to fine tune those TIG welding skills make the trip up to my shop.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I know a couple guys in Washington. It would be a long drive for you......probably an hour and a half or so. I'm sure if they hired you, you'd have to start off at the bottom, but they are good people. If you aren't afraid of starting off mowing their yard and fixing fence, I'd just about bet they would help a guy along. Stainless pipe and fab work is their main gig. Mostly distilleries and such. Holler at me if that tickles your fancy, and I'll shoot you some contact info. Showing up every day with a good attitude and a cell phone that stays in your pocket are probably the most important qualities you can have these days.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts