BowFishing Country banner

best fillet knife under $50?

10K views 27 replies 19 participants last post by  ThiagoCalvin 
#1 ·
as some of yall know, i clean several thousand pounds of catfish per year. I have always used cheap electric fillet knives... as some of you also know, there is no such thing as a good electric fillet knife. All the pros you see cleaning fish like they are working in a nascar pit crew, use a regular fillet knife. i cleaned several hundred pounds this weekend, and between fighting to keep the blades to stay in the knife, and trying to find a sharp set of blades, i think a regular fillet knife has got to be the best way to go....

anyone out there work in a restaurant or fish cleaning house that can recommend a good quality fillet knife that will hold an edge for longer than one or two fish? also, need reccomendations on a knife sharpner that i can quickly touch up the blade every few fish.

bowfishingcoutry has experts in every thing else, do we have some experts in fillet knives?

thanks,
adam

#5 ·
I use the same old Rapala fillet knives that have been around forever, actually have 2 of my own and two that were my grandfathers and they all still cut great. And I usually get through about a dozen fish before I touch up the blades. (These are also what I use for cleaning ducks/geese in the fall) I figure if it ain't broke don't fix it.

http://www.rapala.com/products/knives/fish_n_fillet/

And this is the sharpener I use, quick and easy.

http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=EG331

#6 ·
I also have a few of the rapalas knives around as well as a couple berkleys from walmart. I'm not as picky about the knife as I am my sharpener. I always use a regular knife also, cause when I use an electric I just have to go back through them and check for bones. With a regular knife I'm one and done. As for the sharpener I have been using the accusharp for over 10 years and love it. I know several ppl who use these but i've had the same one since the 90's so I'm not even sure where to get them anymore.

#28 · (Edited)
I also have a few of the rapalas knives around as well as a couple berkleys from walmart. I'm not as picky about the knife as I am my sharpener. I always use a regular knife also, cause when I use an electric I just have to go back through them and check for bones. With a regular knife I'm one and done. As for the sharpener I have been using the accusharp for over 10 years and love it. I know several ppl who use these but i've had the same one since the 90's so I'm not even sure where to get them anymore.
What would you guys recommend for an abuse friendly fillet knife? It would primarily be used for salmon every day. I would prefer a rubber/synthetic grip for easy cleaning and durability but I am not opposed to anything.

#10 ·
I know from experience those big ole santee cats will flat out kill a electric knife. After the santee shootout last year we burned up two of them in just a few min. Switched to a regular old knife and finally got finished with the fish about 2 hours later. That fish cleaning was so miserable we gave our cats away this past weekend.
Anybody know what that man charges over at Hills landing to clean them? I think we may go that route next time if we can't find a better knife.

#13 ·
Yea I,ve got a browning electric knife its not that good, the best way ive found is to get two or three decent filet knives and get them sharp, then after cleaning the fish go sharpen them back up for the next time,I can clean fish alot faster with the blades rather than an electric,But like said by wack-em said, those big blues are hell on a knife.

#20 ·
My first encounter watching a guide clean good sized redfish, he went through them like he was cutting warm butter, big ribs included. He was using a 9" Dexter-Russel knife with the serrated blade (white handle). They are only about 25$ and worth every penny, and you can get a plastic sheath for about another 10$.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.