BowFishing Country banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I decided I need another boat, something small I can hand load on and off my truck for creeks and small ponds. I had my mind set on a 1236, Crestliner makes a hefty one with 15" tall sides that weighs 140#. They even make a 1040 weighing in at 87#, but would a 1436 be too much or too long to be hanging out the bed of a truck?

·
Registered
184 Posts
A 1436 would be fine. Strap it in and throw a red flag on it. I suppose it varies state to state, but here in Illinois, if something is hanging 4 feet past the end, you have to red flag it

·
Premium Member
7,652 Posts
15' 6" Grumman Sport Canoe with square stern

image.jpg

·
Premium Member
7,652 Posts
how much does that weigh garp?

Around 115# with info I found, it's like a pregnant canoe and way more stabile, it has a slight bow in the bottom and not flat like a regular canoe, it's also 40" or so wide in the middle at widest part, it has dual oarlocks and more designed to be rowed than paddled, we normally either row,push pole or electric motor it but do have a 4.5 Mercury for it and is rated for 1,100# capacity and 7.5 hp. We had 2 big guys rowing it and got a small kid on real wide water skis up with it many many years ago at a scout camp.... But hunted it a lot and a good little boat, very easy to move and handle with 2 people

Good pic of what they're like

image.jpeg

·
Registered
746 Posts
I carry a 17' canoe in my truck with a tool box. I built a hitch extender that comes out 5 feet to help support the load. I stick a flag on it and go. Never had an issue.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Check out new canoe buddy of mine has one its light as hell and very stable you can sit on the side and it doesn't flip he landed 2 5ft gg out of it last spring while we where in life Texas. I will see if he will send me a pic of it

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
image.jpg here is what he has and he put a I-pilot troller on it. She scouts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Depends on what you got on it. I used to haul a 1236 in the back of my truck with a trolling motor a few batteries and Spotlights and that wasn't a big deal. If you did the same setup on a 1436 you would be okay but if you add on a small deck a motor generator etc and no way I'd be hand loading it. Why don't u look for a 1436-1448 with a trailer?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts