BowFishing Country banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking into building a custom boat 18X72 Flat bottom.

Wondering where i should start shopping for a trailer, how much i should expect to pay?

Looking for a dual axle.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Craigslist. Im getting ready to build an 1872 flat bottom also. I ended up buying a 17.5ft bass boat for $900, so I got a trailer, 150hp johnson, and steering controls.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice snag. I spend my fair share of time on craigslist. I'm interested in getting a pretty sharp looking trailer right now. Until I realize that it is out of my budget!

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
If PayphoneJones was here he would say something like "That's why you just don't use a budget"

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Seriously, the best (cheapest) way to buy a used motor and trailer is to buy a donor boat. Bass boats are a dime a dozen this time of year. There are a chit ton of parts you can rob out of an old boat........bow eye, transom tie down eyes, gas tank, throttle/shift controls, steering, seats, bilge pump, livewell pump for a washdown, gauges, battery/cables, and the list goes on. A grand and a little work will save you several thousand in the long run. I spent 3 nights in a Holiday Inn Express last weekend, so I'm pretty much a pro at this.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Seriously, the best (cheapest) way to buy a used motor and trailer is to buy a donor boat. Bass boats are a dime a dozen this time of year. There are a chit ton of parts you can rob out of an old boat........bow eye, transom tie down eyes, gas tank, throttle/shift controls, steering, seats, bilge pump, livewell pump for a washdown, gauges, battery/cables, and the list goes on. A grand and a little work will save you several thousand in the long run. I spent 3 nights in a Holiday Inn Express last weekend, so I'm pretty much a pro at this.
I wish I could find a cheap donor bass boat with a nice outboard. That's shizzle isn't cheap out here.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I am looking at a gateway trailer for my sportjet and they run about 4 to 5 K depending what options I want... I hate my Ez Loader trailer... JUNK

·
Registered
300 Posts
Payphone showed me the way, and I've found that donor stuff works for alot of things. Like in my case, I'm gonna do a custom build, so I would need everything. I looked for trailers, outboards, all sorts of stuff, but prices were more than I was able to spend. So I found a kid that had a ragged out junk bass boat, the hull looks like ****, but he never thought about it as motor and trailer. He just thought of it as a junky bass boat.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Did someone say EZ-"BREAK" trailer!!!:jd:

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
O yeah it is Trac!!! Hahaha been calling them EZ break for such a long time it just rolls off the tongue so easy!!!

·
Registered
219 Posts
trailers are a big question of mine. how much gvw does a guy need. I can find tandem axel bass boats with 4600 to 5300 gvw all day.. not sure if that's enough. Is my guess of 2000lb payload (hull, rigging,motor, gear) correct? If so I would think 4600 would be acceptable. what kind of trailer capacity are you guys looking for?

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Man that seems hi or am I wrong? I can order a 18' car trailer with a winch for 5k right now.
its a tad high... a dual axle ez loader trailer that is just bolted together is $3800.00 the Gate way trailer is a much better trailer... Steel Bunks with UMHV slicks - V Block in the front - removable tongue - steel fenders with built in guides that are welded to the fenders, oil bath hubs - quad brakes - 2500 lbs wench - step ups that start 2 ft in front of the fenders and go all the way to the tail lights, all cross members are welded, LED lights, Alum wheels, spare tire with holder.

They will make a more reasonable trailer that removes the spare - wood bunks - bulb lights and No V Block - No Step ups - Galvanized wheels - and just double brakes... you still get a tubed welded trailer they are priced right at $3800.00

Pretty much all the big name jet boat makers here in the PNW use gateway for trailers...

http://gateway-materials.com/content.php?page_id=60

http://www.snakeriverboats.com/gateway-trailers

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I got all my numbers wrong just looked at the quotes...

The Ez Loader trailer is $3650.00

The Custom Gateway is $4275.00 I had 5k in my head because I am saving so I can pay the State Sales tax and Register its...

The low End Gateway is $3300.00

1 - 20 of 22 Posts