BowFishing Country banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I’m Pete Gregoire and I’m running for President of the Bowfishing Association of America (BAA). I’ve been involved closely with the association since 2017 as the Secretary/Treasurer and as the BAA Records Manager shortly after joining. Prior to that I held leadership positions in the Wisconsin Bowfishing Association (WBA), and I ran a bowfishing guide service in southeast Wisconsin. I’m married with 2 children and my 15-year-old son Logan shoots tournaments with me regularly across the country.
In the past few years, I have watched the organization and the membership grow tremendously and I helped a close-knit group of people lead the organization with common sense, decency and purpose. Now, the terms for the current President and Vice President are coming to an end and the people that filled those positions are stepping down.
I am running for President against a candidate that will, in my opinion, try to dismantle the good work that has been done. I look to continue the positivity of the organization and not just maintain the current state but build upon the foundation that was laid.
Here are some of my main goals for the Presidency:
  • Build a strong Director team from across the nation that has a true passion for bowfishing and who see how the actions that the BAA takes can have impacts across a large and diverse membership.
  • Create a true educational platform through our social media sites by seeking out highly- respected members to deliver information that can be used and trusted.
  • Establish a BAA specific podcast that highlights many aspects of the organization, including upcoming events, record recognition, key messages and dates to remember, as well as interviews with members, sponsors and contributors to the sport.
  • Seek out and appoint a strong State Representative’s Manager to maintain a dedicated group of reps who will proactively seek out opportunities to expand our sport, or to warn us of impending regulations that we need to stand and fight against.
  • Continue to seek out new and interesting ways to keep our membership involved, while preserving our cash reserves to allow us to fight legislative battles that may arise.
While I maintain a positive view of the BAA, there have been some disparaging remarks made towards me and, as only one of seven voting representatives, we've had to make many tough decisions taking all available information into account. Let me respond to a couple directly.
  1. Back the Blue – By a narrow margin the BAA chose to abstain from involvement. The timing of the events seemed less about bowfishing and more about making a political statement that could have unforeseen impacts on our membership. We cleared this with the main event organizer who was fine with the decision at the time and understood our position.
  1. Sanctioning and Insurance - Our insurance only applies to BAA members and has limits on what is covered and is specific to the physical location of the event, it doesn’t extend to the water. I favor free sanctioning of events that will draw a decent membership base or promote the BAA actively during the event to garner new members.
  1. Cheaper Membership – there is true value in the current Premium Membership: Free fish records, Annual Membership T-Shirt, and a vote for the next World’s location. If a member takes advantage of all of this, the BAA nets very little. The lower cost option just seems like a donation to the BAA and may not be popular. It should be well thought out and voted on at the next spring meeting.
  1. Proactive in the Face of Rights Challenges – I stood in front of the Texas Parks and Wildlife commission and addressed them directly on the lack of evidence for imposing additional restrictions on Alligator Gar.
  1. Streamlined records – I'm all for making the process easier if it doesn’t impact the integrity of the process. We have cultivated a consistent, repeatable process that has been followed 375 times this year alone. The current state of our records management is better than it’s ever been in the past.
  1. BAA Website – a full redesign of the website was completed in 2018. The platform can be changed as needed to accommodate just about anything we want. I will work to appoint a strong person to help manage this.
Regarding the other items that attempt to portray me in a negative light. I am as committed to the BAA as anyone has been in recent memory. I have literally worked tirelessly to bring transparency to our finances, deliver real information in our newsletters, and be a champion for the organization. If you’ve been at the last 2 World Championship tournaments you have seen me there, with my son, helping with registrations, taking pictures, handing out door prizes and awards with no real intention of competing because the success of the event comes first.
I truly believe that my opponent is seeking to use this position in the BAA as a weapon against people that have not agreed or aligned with him. I promise that when it comes to the BAA, I will always carry myself in the most professional manner possible, with no ulterior motives, personal grudges, or divisive rhetoric. You can trust that I will maintain the best interests of the BAA for as long as I serve.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Love it, Pete. You already know where I'm at lol

·
Premium Member
941 Posts
yes got mine too sir

1 - 4 of 4 Posts