BowFishing Country banner

Bowfishing Essay

3K views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  SupportPdf 
#1 ·
I had to write a descriptive essay for my English class about my favorite hobby. What do you guys think?

I have many hobbies that some may consider obscure or strange. I am a member of the bowling team, have a strong passion for woodworking and building things, and I am an avid outdoorsman with a love for wilderness and being outside. I often enjoy going hunting with my brother and father, both of whom share my love for the outdoors. I also can be found spending my free time fishing wherever I can, be it at the lake, a small pond, or even the creek behind my house. But one of my favorite things to do outside is a combination of hunting and fishing, bow fishing.
Bow fishing is exactly what it sounds like, fishing with a bow and arrow. It is a great way to spend time with my friends and also gets me off the couch like so many young people these days. The main thing that is needed to partake in bow fishing is a bow. Any kind works, personally I use a recurve bow which makes for quicker shooting time than a typical compound bow. Attached to the bow is a fishing reel with strong line so that the large fish cannot break free of the arrow. Whenever I go with my friends, we have a flat bottom boat with lights that light up the dark, murky water at night. The boat makes for easier access to hard to reach deep spots and is also a way to keep out of the cold water. The first few times I went bow fishing we did not have a boat which makes shooting more difficult so it took a couple trips and many missed shots until I nailed my first fish. After the first fish I was hooked.
The first time I went bow fishing was probably about four years ago. After reading and seeing television shows about the sport, my dad purchased the necessary equipment and we tried it out. The whole first summer we bow fished we did not shoot a single fish. Despite the disappointment, my brother, a couple friends and I stuck with it, determined to successfully take a fish with a bow. I remember the first fish I saw shot by my friend Austin. It was a carp, and although it was not the largest fish in the river, it excited us so much we all just had to get one too. Two summers later, our group of four people is shooting large carp, gar, and the occasional shad on a regular basis. The many emotions included in this sport make me keep coming back for more. While I am often upset and disappointed after missing a fifty pound gar, there is nothing that is more exhilarating than feeling the hard steady pull of the bow in my hands after shooting a fish.
Starting during the spring, my friends and I will begin taking weekend trips to Lake Eufaula for all night bow fishing trips. The deafening noises coming from the generator used to power the boat lights are almost drowned out by the country music blaring from the radio. The stench of fish and the deck of the boat made slippery by the sliminess of the carp are just reminders of the opportunities available lurking deep in the dark, cold water. We take turns steering the boat, all while eagerly awaiting our chance to move to the front of the boat to take our turn bow fishing. Whenever someone shoots a fish, everyone jumps into action either reeling in the fish, readying the live well to store the fish, snapping a quick photo of the trophy fish, or just trying to stay out of the way of the hectic situation. Going on a bow fishing trip is a way to bond with my brother and my friends, and we do so all while having a great time.
Bow fishing is something I enjoy doing whenever I get the opportunity. While many people find it a strange or unusual hobby, it is one of my favorite activities during the summer. Bow fishing has been a passion of mine for the past few years, and I hope to continue going on late night renegade trips for a long time.

See less See more
#4 ·
sounds like a good paper to me..... very visual...... but a fifty pound gar???? if ur in oklahoma, which is just a guess cuz of lake eufaula, im sure u aint shootin gator gar ....... so im not sure bout seein gar that big lol

#11 ·
When I took advanced public speaking at the U of A, we had to pick one subject to do all of our work over for the entire semester...we did informative, persuasive, celebratory, and several other speeches on the subject. Mine were all over bowfishing! One of the only A's I pulled that semester! hahaha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.