BowFishing Country banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am new to this forum been bowfishing for bout 3 yrs absolutely hooked. I just recently moved out here to Eastern VA. I have been trying to find out if anyone bowfishes out here but have been unsuccessful. Seems like there is plenty of fish but not sure where to go and don't have a boat. I have been going down to NC and going with a charter but would like to stay closer to home also my dad and I would like to try for stingrays and flounder. We don't have stuff like that up north. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
7,652 Posts
Eastern Va like oceanside Va on lower eastern shore side of bay.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Garpwacker I am down around va beach area hampton roads. so lower eastern virginia. any advice or are you local?

·
Super Moderator
7,652 Posts
Mid DelMarVa Eastern Shore, De area...theres some others on here around Hamton/Va beach I think Greenhead and Ruverrocket are down your way. Everbody always forgets Eastern Va on our side.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how often and what are the best times to go bowfishing for stingray. my dad and i have always wanted to do that. just went sat. night down in North Carolina and got a couple carp one decent tilapia and a catfish. fried up the catfish for the superbowl good eatin. I appreciate your help.

·
Super Moderator
7,652 Posts
May thru mid to late August. With june being the best for cownose with them breeding and birthing around then. Southerns pretty much h all summer june-august.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
awsome thanks I have to leave for a few months but Lord willing I will be back around that time. do you know of anyone around this area that charters or would take people out for either fresh, tidal, or saltwater. I am probable not going to have a boat for a while possible till late next year plus we are expecting another little one so finances will be a little tighter.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Welcome to the best kept secret. Well starting hitting the rivers about march when the nights warm up a little. Stingray and cobia in may-june ish. Let me know when your ready.

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
welcome to BFC & the area... I'm about 4-5 hours NE of ya but know that area ok... shoot Greenhead a PM if ya have any questions about that area, I believe he use to live there for a while

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Riverrocket I will definately take you up on the offer. I am going away for a few months but as soon as i get back will look you up. also I will be trackin the action via BFC. I am not familiar with cobia is that good eatin or is it a rough fish. I will look it up. I will also be lookin for a boat when i get back. have seen plenty of sweet setups on here and many for down right resonable prices. again any info yall can spare I will absorb. Team river rat I will try to PM Greenhead. Garpwhacker pointed me in the same direction I am just still figuring out this web site. I dont do much forum or computer work for that matter but that was due highly to the lack of interest in the topics hhahahahaha. Lord knows that aint the case no more.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Welcome to the best kept secret. Well starting hitting the rivers about march when the nights warm up a little. Stingray and cobia in may-june ish. Let me know when your ready.
I second the secret part! ;-) I have searched every forum I could find for information on bowfishing in SE VA, and finally came upon this thread. I recently became interested in this sport as well but information has been hard to find. I did stumble on a few threads that were more negative than possitive on shooting the rays, but I figured to each his own. I currently rigged up a recurve with a AMS retriever to see how I liked it before investing to much and I'm itching to try it out. I have a bay boat that I could use for saltwater shooting and have crossed the bay several times in it fishing with hook and line. I'm sort of burnt out on the hook and line and hooked on the bowfishing and would really like to learn how to do it safely and correctly for fresh and salt water. Especially for rays and cobia. They are some strong fish. If anyone is interested I could trade a salt water trip for a fresh water in return for getting to learn how this is done.

Thank you;

Ric

·
Registered
406 Posts
The only negative to shooting rays is its adiction. Many here will attest to that. The bigest advantage in tidewater is few people doing it, so few problems and lots of fish. I should be finishing my freshwater boat in the next week or two just in time for the river action to pick up. The local bass fisherman are reporting scarce spottings on the rivers. Hopefully the rain this weekend will warm things up. What city are you in?

·
Registered
50 Posts
The only negative to shooting rays is its adiction. Many here will attest to that. The bigest advantage in tidewater is few people doing it, so few problems and lots of fish. I should be finishing my freshwater boat in the next week or two just in time for the river action to pick up. The local bass fisherman are reporting scarce spottings on the rivers. Hopefully the rain this weekend will warm things up. What city are you in?
Hi Riverrocket;

I'm 5 miles south of JRB off Rt. 17. How about yourself? Sounds like you really know bowfishing. I'm willing to buy gas and would love to learn.

Ric

·
Registered
406 Posts
Your just down the street then. Im in Chesapeake Sq. As far as knowing, not really. I know the area and there's so may places it's hard to go wrong.

·
Registered
728 Posts
As everyone else has stated, there are tons of opportunities to harvest fish. It all depends on what you like to shoot the most. I personally get burnt out on the rays, dont get me wrong they are a blast to shoot, they just tend to make a mess in the boat. However there are some killer spots to pound the hound fish (salt water gar) and they are 10x more fun to shoot then rays. In the rivers/lake systems there are several good opportunities to get on garp,carp, bowfin, and now catfish. Riverrocket and Shootafish were the two main guys I shot with. They know the water as good as anyone around there and I am sure they will be willing to hook you up! Good luck and post some pictures!! I will be back there in June so maybe we can all hook up and kill some fish. Here is a bigger hound fish we shot. Hound fish.jpg

Gar.jpg A couple hours work with a new shooter in a tidal river.

Ray.jpg One of the bigger rays we have taken.

So in my opinion you are located in one of the best fisheries. You are able to get on several types of fish within an hour in any direction.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I remember that night. Something like head in early. 130 fish later and 5:30am.

As everyone else has stated, there are tons of opportunities to harvest fish. It all depends on what you like to shoot the most. I personally get burnt out on the rays, dont get me wrong they are a blast to shoot, they just tend to make a mess in the boat. However there are some killer spots to pound the hound fish (salt water gar) and they are 10x more fun to shoot then rays. In the rivers/lake systems there are several good opportunities to get on garp,carp, bowfin, and now catfish. Riverrocket and Shootafish were the two main guys I shot with. They know the water as good as anyone around there and I am sure they will be willing to hook you up! Good luck and post some pictures!! I will be back there in June so maybe we can all hook up and kill some fish. Here is a bigger hound fish we shot. View attachment 29232

View attachment 29233 A couple hours work with a new shooter in a tidal river.

View attachment 29234 One of the bigger rays we have taken.

So in my opinion you are located in one of the best fisheries. You are able to get on several types of fish within an hour in any direction.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts