BowFishing Country banner

41 - 60 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Greenhead had a 19ft Carolina skiff with a EU3000, halos and bow mounted troller. Not a lot of light but we killed a lot of fish. Towards the end of last summer I helped him upgrade to HPS. Big difference. I've got a simular set up with 48w LEDs. The halos are a cheap way to get started.

·
Registered
50 Posts
If I can get a decent platform for the small water I'm sure as I figure out more of this game I would probably upgrade later as well. For now you're right, was looking for a quick and cheap way to get started in hopes of being ready when this weather ever breaks. Also was just going to use power cords for wiring initially along side of the boat. Thoughts on a 1648 platform? How many and what watt halo's will I be able to run on an EU2000? Is the power cord idea workable if I tape them down so not tripping on them?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm running a 1648 Alumacraft bow mounted troller with 6 500 watt halos. They're cheap and get the job done.
I was looking at the Alumacraft MV 1648 package (Riveted boat) at eds Marine, which is a better price than a Grizzly package (Welded boat). Do you have any knowledge of this model and if a front mounted trolling motor could be added. Do you mind posting a pic of how you have yours set up, I would love to have some idea how to proceed with setting one up. Oh, what size generator to run your 6 500 watt lights?

Thank you;

Ric

·
Registered
406 Posts
He had two on each side and two in the front hose clamped to the rail. All had the 250 ultra bulbs. I think it was a 70lb troller. All powered by a EU3000. extension cords and Surge protectors. He killed many fish with that set up.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I have a Carolina Skiff which measures 1652. I built a 12" raised platform out of plywood and 2x4's when we first got started a few years back and mounted 6-500 watt halogens under it. At the time, I thought it was the tits on the cats pajamas. Since then, upgraded to 400W HPS and a 2072 Grizzly and it is amazing. However, a 16' boat and halos will kill plenty of fish in central Virginia. I am out of Richmond and been fishing there for the last 4 years or so. Never once seen another boat out on the water bowfishing like us. Never. I am sure that will change, but there are plenty of fish for everyone!

·
Registered
728 Posts
WE killed many fish with that setup. I was running powermax conveters to keep the batteries charged up but since have switched to a kicker motor. I still have the 80lb troller to use for the day time. The trolling motor pulled the boat along decent and we could float is shallow enough water the motor wouldn't run. The biggest thing is if you are fishing tidal water is to work with the tide. Like riverocket said I jerry rigged some extension cords and surge protectors. The halo I used the 225 ultra bulbs (put out a few more lumens per watt then regular bulbs) just have to search online to find some.

He had two on each side and two in the front hose clamped to the rail. All had the 250 ultra bulbs. I think it was a 70lb troller. All powered by a EU3000. extension cords and Surge protectors. He killed many fish with that set up.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi All;

Thank you all for your responses. They have been very informative and helped a lot.
Fowlplay - Sounds like you have been a pioneer in the sport up there. Your current setup sounds awesome. Have you shot any big blues yet?

Greenhead - Sounds like you have been busy and made some tremendous upgrades to your rig down there in Fl. Sure to put you on the fish down there. Send us a pic of your results.

Shootafish - I would appreciate the pics of how you have your 1648 set up as that is the platform I am currrently looking at. Where in SE VA are you located?

Ric

·
Registered
708 Posts
Fowlplay - Sounds like you have been a pioneer in the sport up there. Your current setup sounds awesome. Have you shot any big blues yet?
No big blues yet. I haven't made it out yet this year because the weather has been so bad the water is like chocolate milk. Hopefully soon, I am dying to shoot some.

·
Registered
191 Posts
My boat is a work in progess now but im rigging it up with four 50w LEDs i have two more 27w but im not sure if im going to put them on the boat we shoot a couple lakes in va and nc but i cant tell you near as much as these guys can. Im running my lights off of one battery for now and im going to see what kind of run time i get with them and go from there. I would like to get out on the bay and shoot some rays but thats going to be a trial and error kinda thing.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Wow, this thread is proving to be a wealth of information.

Fowlplay - I think this weather is driving us all crazy. Only plus is it is giving me more time to figure out something on a boat. Post a pic of your first big blue. Wonder what the cat fishers are thinking about it?

VaJamin - Where did you get your lights? I would very much be interested in your run time once you have a chance to try it out. I know that the best time for the rays is probably June - July, on a calm bright day, but I haven't done it yet either. Use to avoid them when fishing. Riverrocket is one of the local experts on doing it from talking to him and hopefully as the time gets closer he will share some insights. If I figure it out anyone on this thread will be welcome to come down and give it a go on my boat.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
the catfishers are pissed..they have already threatend us!
Wow, this thread is proving to be a wealth of information.

Fowlplay - I think this weather is driving us all crazy. Only plus is it is giving me more time to figure out something on a boat. Post a pic of your first big blue. Wonder what the cat fishers are thinking about it?

VaJamin - Where did you get your lights? I would very much be interested in your run time once you have a chance to try it out. I know that the best time for the rays is probably June - July, on a calm bright day, but I haven't done it yet either. Use to avoid them when fishing. Riverrocket is one of the local experts on doing it from talking to him and hopefully as the time gets closer he will share some insights. If I figure it out anyone on this thread will be welcome to come down and give it a go on my boat.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hi All;

Thank you all for your responses. They have been very informative and helped a lot.

Greenhead - Sounds like you have been busy and made some tremendous upgrades to your rig down there in Fl. Sure to put you on the fish down there. Send us a pic of your results.

Shootafish - I would appreciate the pics of how you have your 1648 set up as that is the platform I am currrently looking at. Where in SE VA are you located?

Ric
Suffolk

·
Registered
708 Posts
the catfishers are pissed..they have already threatend us!
They can suck it because they had their time for public input on the regulation change and they said NOTHING. Skeeter, you shoot that cat in VA or MD? I can't wait to stick some VA cats this year.

·
Registered
406 Posts
They can suck it because they had their time for public input on the regulation change and they said NOTHING. Skeeter, you shoot that cat in VA or MD? I can't wait to stick some VA cats this year.
Watchu talk'n bout Willis? Wees gonna ware dim thangs out dis year.

41 - 60 of 92 Posts