BowFishing Country banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This summer I'm going to be taking a trip to Virginia, while I'm there I'm going to try to shoot a few rays. I've only ever went after carp, will I need different points, or will the ams chaos points that I use for carp be fine?

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
The Chaos Point may be a little light. You might consider beefing-up your choice of points for stingrays. I'd take a look at points recommended for larger alligator gar. Also, make sure your string is in the 150+ pound range.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My line is 200# on all my rigs, so that should be fine. What points would you recommend? I have until June to get new arrows ordered.

·
Registered
163 Posts
3 Barb Innerloc Grapples work best for us. I wouldn't use anything else for rays. Those wings are very soft and with all of the power they have, standard bowfishing tips pull out way too easy and way too often.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the input, I really appreciate it. I just want to make sure I don't show up unprepared.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I went out this past summer with the chaos points and they did alright. I think we did break one barb but we always did our best to get 2 arrows in them. Gloves come in handy too, learned on the first one you won't be able to hold onto that small line and stop them.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Chaos points will be fine, more importantly make sure your reel is in good shape. As mentioned already, you won't be able to stop the ray's initial run. Also bring a good gaff and club to handle them at roadside. Avoid the barb on the tail!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Chaos points will be fine, more importantly make sure your reel is in good shape. As mentioned already, you won't be able to stop the ray's initial run. Also bring a good gaff and club to handle them at roadside. Avoid the barb on the tail!!
Forgot to mention an extra bottle comes in handy too. We had one get sucked inside out but were able to blow it back up.

·
Super Moderator
7,652 Posts
Heavy rubber dead blow hammer from harbor freight works good for dispatching stingrays, but don’t get the “ping” of aluminum bat when whack them....we use AMS with extended bottles with extra line and don’t use floats or the the slotted retriever which is a pain in the ass, just stick them and man up and hold on....

·
Registered
163 Posts
I wish we saw that many Southerns when we go out. We might see one for every 100 cow nose rays we see. Are you further out when you are seeing the southerns?

·
Super Moderator
7,652 Posts
Eastern shore of VA on the southerns need grass and clean water, they are feeding in crabs mainly when we found them. Further south in Chesapeake the better or on Oceanside barrier islands...never really found them much north of the MD/Va line in the Chesapeake....

·
Super Moderator
7,652 Posts
Which is harder to bowfish - stingray or manta rays? TIA
Manta Rays due to their larger size and not as many and where they live and are found, 2nd is that Manta rays are protected so can’t shoot them, we normally Bowfish cownose rays and southern rays....

·
Registered
45 Posts
Manta Rays due to their larger size and not as many and where they live and are found, 2nd is that Manta rays are protected so can’t shoot them, we normally Bowfish cownose rays and southern rays....
What are cownose rays? And just a question is it healthy to eat rays?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts