BowFishing Country banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So STILL in search of the "right" bow for me right now.
I am between the Sucker Punch, Bear Cruzer, and Diamond Infinite Edge.... BUT tell me this... What makes a good bow? Is there a big quality difference, (in the bows I am looking at? Not Oneida bows)?
I see people who like each one, but really do not know why? Feel? Looks? Most of the specs are similar with many of them.
Looking for what makes them different?

Thanks

·
Registered
236 Posts
For me it has been how the bow feels in my hand. I realize that you can adjust this with grip tape but why mess with something if you can have something that feels nice. I ended up getting a Hoyt Ignite. It is similar to the other bows listed with regards to being highly adjustable. My son (6) shoots an infinite edge. We both passed on the cruzer and sucker punch. It helps that he is a lefty so I got a sweet deal on a last years model on the infinite edge. I figured he could keep it for a while and kill lots of fish with it though. Biggest plus of the Ignite is there is no need for a bow press to adjust the settings. The infinite edge requires a press to change some settings.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
me personally wouldnt shoot any of those bows, id look at any of the PSE bowfishing bows before the ones stated above

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
All the bows will shoot fish no problem. But certain bows you personally will be able to shoot better. If it feels good in your hand, and the draw cycle is what you like then go with it. Don't over think on which bow is the best because what is best for me might not be the best for you. If you get the chance shoot a few of them but if you can't just suck it up and buy one that you think you would like. On a positive note most of the bowfishing bow have a pretty good resale value so if you decide you wanna try a different one you can either keep it the first as a back up or sell it and not be out a huge amount.

·
Premium Member
7,652 Posts
an oneida! problem solved
Chit, you still have your Kool-Aid mustache....but he is a smart youngin, there is a reason that Oneidas are such a popular bowfishing bow, you need to try one and "drink the Kool Aid" and see for yourself

Actually the best bow is the one in your hand as your hunting fish....have shot a lot of different bows from Oneidas,Mission Craze,Cuda's and HydroStrikes, Whitetail Hunter, Bear recurves and they all kill fish the same, just personal preference

·
Registered
462 Posts
Whatever you get, make sure it fits you and make sure it is tuned well. Lately I have really noticed a whole lot of people are shooting bows that are so horribly out of tune and so underpowered that they just don't have a chance beyond about 15 feet. The arrows fly about 2" nock-low and just plop harmlessly on top of the water at distance and make a loud Kerplushhh! up close. A lot of people also get confused about draw weight. Draw weight means nothing between different bows. What you want is draw efficiency, so you can use a lower draw weight and still get the necessary power. However, as efficiency goes up, the draw cycle tends to get harsher and will wear you down. It's all about balance and what is best for you. Only you can answer that. Whatever you get, if you are a bowfisher it will likely not be the last, so don't worry yourself too much over it.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
X2^^^^ I can't tell you how many guys and girls that I meet and I invite to go out on the boat. Now I tell them to show up a half hour earlier then I typically go. 2 out of 3 times I wnd up retuning their bow for them.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I love my cajun sucker punch with let off cams.

·
Super Moderator
2,372 Posts
^^^ X2. I know the sucker punch had a bad rap when it came out, and maybe I just got a good one by chance, but I'd take a sucker punch over any 5 PSE bows. The draw cycle is way smoother. I've had several PSE shooters on the boat and almost every time, I had to break out the scale to prove to them that my bow was set at 40# and not 30#.

Now, with that said, the sucker punch does require more than just a few inches of draw for snap shots. It needs at least 1/2 draw to get good penetration on a big redfish. I can't compare it to the PSE in this case b/c I haven't taken my D2 on the boat yet. I just don't figure to have to use it, so why drag it around and give it boat rash. Lol

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I have been waiting and looking and reading. I just made the jump with the Cajun Sucker Punch with a muzzy reel and snapshot rest. I went through Brad at Williams Outdoors. After speaking with him several times, and his great personality, I was sold! The bow is on it's way and I am just a bit jacked....to say the least!
Thanks Brad, your prices and more importantly your helpful service has been appreciated!!
And Nope this was not solicited by anyone, and up to two weeks ago I had never heard of Williams outdoors. I just like giving credit where it is due!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts