BowFishing Country banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I picked up a pair of Duracell class 31 AGM batteries from Sams Club about a week ago. The stickers were 5/17 so I'll assume that means May 2017. Anyway, I brought them in the house and checked them with a volt meter and they read 12.7 each. I'm going out this weekend so I wanted to top them off and figured they were there and if anything it it would take 10-15 minutes tops. I hooked up my 2 bank Mariner and to my surprise the light was RED. I thought I had a charger problem so I removed the fuse from the positive and the light turned Green so it was getting current. I hooked it back up and after about 3 hours the RED and GREEN light had turned on but it wasn't completely charged and I had to go to bed. Got up this morning and the light was GREEN so I unhooked it because I had to get to work. My old batterys was charged at the end of season last summer and when I hooked them up the lights on the charger were RED and GREEN from the get go. Is this normal for a battery to be drained or lower than it should be off the shelf? Are they not topped off before being shipped? If anyone know, that would be great. These batteries are $179 a pop so they're not cheap.

·
Registered
319 Posts
12V batteries are fully charged at 12.7+ volts. While they are factory charged to near full, there is a time period between manufacture date and shelf date. Warehousing, shipping, distributors, shipping, warehousing, etc. The self discharge rate of AGMs is 2-3% per month. All the manufacturers recommend fully charging their batteries upon purchase. While AGMS can charge up to 4 or 5 times faster than flooded batteries, they are sensitive to overcharging. Be sure to use a smart charger intended for use with AGM batteries. I'm a fan of this battery. It is the DEKA INTIMIDATOR 31 GROUP relabeled by Duracell for Sam's Club. I have 3 including one that spent 24 hours swamped in saltwater that is still going strong, albeit, with only 1/4 of its positive stud. Had to mount a threaded post adapter to the SAE terminal so I could use it in a marine capacity.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My first set of Duracell's lasted 6yrs. My charger is an on board 2 bank Marinco Guest not a Mariner(typo) 10amp and they are rated for agm's. It's just weird that they read 12.7 and acted like they had less volts, given this was my cheapo Harbor Freight meter.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Magnolia is pretty much right on ..... but if your interested you should listen to the Rough Fish Registry podcast #7 its battery 101 and its great even for the knowledgeable

1 - 5 of 5 Posts