BowFishing Country banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im wanting to run converters directly to trolling motor. anyone else doing this successfully?
I run a kicker motor 75% of the time so im not running wot on troller 12 hrs a night. I want to run converters to a 36 volt contactor switch, with a 12 volt hot foot to break the connection. I also plan to install a fan on top of troller head. Possibly install a surge protector between the converters and genny and a breaker on the output. So, can the powermax bowfishing model be hooked directly to troller? I have heard/read both sides, is anyone having success with this?

I would appreciate your input on this

JD

·
Registered
63 Posts
I am running 2 Powermax 75amp bowfishing converters to power my Ripeide 70# troller and 10 50W LED lights. Have been running it for about 3 months now, with no issues other than my lights flicker when the troller hits the bottom. I found the same conflicting info all over the internet about running the trollers straight off the converters. I ended up going with what Powermax told me (that it would work) because I really did not want the extra weight of the batteries in the boat. I know 3 months is not all that long, but for me, so far so good!

Bisch

·
Registered
136 Posts
Interesting, Some British fella, Graham maybe?, told me to always run batteries between the converter and troller when I called Powermaxx. I still burn up a troller a month so I probably wouldn't be out anything by trying it when these batteries are shot.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Powermax makes a bowfishing model that supplies 13.4 or 26.8 when using two of them directly to your trolling motor. Other models are basically smart chargers that have 3 or 4 charging phases that include a 14.6 bulk charge voltage that may be hard on your trolling motor. Also, as demand fluctuates heavily as you speed up, slow down, stop, bump bottom, etc., it may also be hard on the convertor since the convertor will constantly be trying to adjust itself to the correct phase. That's why most folks will tell you to buffer the trolling motor from the converter with batteries. That being said, I know some folks go batteryless for years without a problem and others burn gear up.

·
Registered
285 Posts
^^I was told the same thing by Grahm when ordering mine last year and he also recommended useing a inverter genny cause of cleaner power. I too burn up a troller bout once a month and I now always carry 3 sets of brushes on boat too. I have been thinking bout trying converter straight to genny here lately too but I'm now running a motorguide and hAve not had the issues I did with minn kota 70# motorguide just can't run motorguide on a high speed for long periods will trip in line breaker

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yes you can run the bowfishing model straight to the troller. I know 3 boats, mine included, that are wired this way and we've had zero issues.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
^^I was told the same thing by Grahm when ordering mine last year and he also recommended useing a inverter genny cause of cleaner power. I too burn up a troller bout once a month and I now always carry 3 sets of brushes on boat too. I have been thinking bout trying converter straight to genny here lately too but I'm now running a motorguide and hAve not had the issues I did with minn kota 70# motorguide just can't run motorguide on a high speed for long periods will trip in line breaker
I'd suggest switching over to a kicker-sounds like you are ROUGH on trolling motors...lol. That or ya just have really really bad luck. Either way it sounds like you fish with the throttle maxed out, which means you'd LOVE the extra speed of a kicker.

·
Premium Member
7,652 Posts
I'd suggest switching over to a kicker-sounds like you are ROUGH on trolling motors...lol. That or ya just have really really bad luck. Either way it sounds like you fish with the throttle maxed out, which means you'd LOVE the extra speed of a kicker.
Or a larger size troller and then can maybe run it not maxed out...

·
Registered
285 Posts
I'm saving and trying to sell off stuff now for a kicker lol cause we are hard on a troller especially now going from a 1748 to a 2072

·
Registered
136 Posts
I definitely need to add a kicker, however about 75% of my fishing is nosing around in pencil reeds and cane grass so I still need the troller for better control.

Our troller repair shop blames the converters for burning up the boards (of course he would because it's not a Minn Kota product). I haven't been able to pin point if it's the continuous running WOT or working through weeds that have the bigger impact.

I have friends running a 36V power supply for the last couple years directly from the gen to the troller. They have been working great so far. The downside is they are 240v and pull a lot of amps so they had to upsize the generators to get that capability.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have been told that if I don't run large enough batteries that I would boil them with converters. I like the idea of a "power surge buffer" between converter and troller but how small of a battery can I get away with. I plan to size my converters to be able to run direct but if I could install 3 small batteries to buffer the power it would be better I think. Any suggestions? will a lawn mower battery work? Does the battery have to be good or will a small junk battery do the trick? thanks

·
Registered
63 Posts
If you have a 70# Riptide with the plastic brush plate, it is not the converter that is messing up your motor. It is cheap a** design by Minn Kota that is the culprit!

Bisch

·
Registered
63 Posts
Also, the folks at Powermax were the ones who told me they designed the bowfishing converter specifically so you could run your troller with no batteries. The only issue i have had out of my troller is the cheap a**ed brush plate design that has nothing to do with the converters.

Bisch

1 - 18 of 18 Posts