BowFishing Country banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
HPS lights intrigue me, and I'm trying to learn about them, but just don't understand the lingo associated with them.

First off, if youre going to run a generator, why would someone not use hps? From the way I understand it, hps put out more light than LEDs per watt, so if you're running 110v LEDs, is there any benefit?

Everyone talks about ballasts and ballast boxes and digital ballasts. What the heck does that mean and if there are digital ballast, what is a non-digital ballast?

I see alot about custom housings. What is a non custom housing, and why are they not good enough, or is there such a thing as a non custom housing?

If I plan on running a generator at all times for my lights, is there any reason at all I should consider going with LEDs?

What exactly is brighter about hps? More distance, deeper penetration, wider spread?

Is it possible to just mount these (http://www.e-conolight.com/150-watt-hps-floodlight-6-x-9.html) to the rail and run wires to the genny? If it is possible, is there any reason not to, or to do it differently?

Sorry for all the questions, but I just can't find the answers anywhere. Plenty of talk about hps lights, but most of it is from people who already know and understand them and it's hard to understand it if you don't understand the basics.

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Wow. Almost an hour and nobody has ripped your a$$ for asking light questions without using the search function first. This place is done for. :laugh:

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I read through almost thread I could find on the subject. But couldn't find anything that answered those questions. At least in a way that I understood.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
HPS are brighter, heavier, more complicated, more expensive, use more power, penetrate deeper, and are brighter. LED are cheap, light weight, don't use much power, simple, bright enough to kill fish but not HPS bright, and simple. Did I mention that HPS are brighter?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know all that though, that info is in every single thread about hps lights. I don't want anyone to convince me to go one way or the other. I want to learn more about hps and how they work and how set them up, so I can decide for myself.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Long story short. I run 150 watt HPS lights. I got damaged hps street lights from a buddy that works for the utility company for free. I took them apart and put the sockets in some homemade housings I made. I took the rest of the guts - ballast and igniter in a tool box (ballast box). I did this because that is where all of the weight come from and put the box in the back of the boat to keep the weight off of the housings and the front of the boat. I have a 2000 watt inverter and they were drawing too many amps and straining the genny so I ordered capacitors from capacitor king and that cut the amp draw in half so I could run them without the genny coming much off of idle.
In my opinion only...hps are bright and penetrate better into muddy water than anything I have ever fished off of. I will never fish with anything but hps. If I change anything it will be go with digital ballasts and 250 watt hps once my 150s crap out....down side is I have 6 more free street lights in the shop so I don't see the 250's anywhere in my near future.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I took those same econolights you posted the link to and mounted them to a buddy's light rail with no problem. They just weigh a lot so I had to make custom mounts for them so that they didn't break off. The 6x9's you posted do not come with capacitors. If you buy the 9x9's they will come with capacitors which will draw less amps.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It says they only weigh 9lbs each. So even if I had 6 of them that would only be an extra 54 lbs up front. Ifor that's correct, it doesn't sound like would be worth making a ballast box to move some of the weight to the rear.

Or am I looking missing something

·
Registered
2,401 Posts

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
I can answer most of your questions with a 10 min phone call.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
It says they only weigh 9lbs each. So even if I had 6 of them that would only be an extra 54 lbs up front. Ifor that's correct, it doesn't sound like would be worth making a ballast box to move some of the weight to the rear.

Or am I looking missing something
We run 8 of them up front on a 1660 no issues.

I may have missed it, what generator are you running? Pick your generator first then the appropriate amount of lights accordingly.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
So if I'm understanding this right, these lights http://www.e-conolight.com/150-watt-hps-floodlight-9-x-9.html have capacitors in them.

It doesn't appear to have any wires coming from it. Do you have to run your own wires, and could that whole fixture be mounted to the light rail?
You can also use te 6x9 hps lights and add a 55uf capacitor behind the reflector. This is a nice option if you want to run a lower platform but still have the lights mounted on the underneath.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
We run 8 of them up front on a 1660 no issues.

I may have missed it, what generator are you running? Pick your generator first then the appropriate amount of lights accordingly.
I actually don't have anything yet except a donor boat for my build yet, so I'm starting from a clean slate. Not sure of the brand yet, but I'm planning on buying one of the various 2000w quiet generators. But I'd like to run my troller of it too, so I'm not sure how many I'll be able to run yet.

My boats gonna have a flush deck over, so my lights will be up on a rail either way.

Just seems like if I'm gonna use a genny either way, I may as well use brighter lights than leds.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts