BowFishing Country banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 13' flat back canoe I plan on using to get to some skinny water this year. It's 13' long, 42" in the middle, has foam sponsons to keep it from tipping and only weighed 54 lbs.
as stable as it is I would like a bar in the middle that would hold my bow and when I stand up I could lean on it for extra stability.
Any ideas or pictures?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I just built this one for my kayak this past weekemd, havent decided how to hang the bow on it but maybe this will give you an idea

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kayak fish, that's what I'm thinking.
Real tree, I'll be shooting a small river. The holes and downed trees are about 3-5'. However, if u are anchored up on the edge u are only in a few feet of water. Plus there is next to no current. So if u fell out not much can happen and I always were a life vest.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
That bar cost me about 40$ for all the Bimini top hardware I used on it, I could've done it cheaper but it's completely adjustable and looks better imo. One of the local lakes I shoot a lot has an electric/paddle only end that has zero bowfishing pressure and some pretty skinny water so the plan is to shoot off this some once the spawn is over

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
As a bow holder, not a big deal, 5-10 lb of static load. Low branches in current or grabbing onto it at the wrong time could be bad, though.

If you put a tall bar in there to lean on, it will act as a big lever. When you lose your balance and grab on to it, the canoe will roll further than it would normally. For a 42" bottom, there is a maximum 21" effective lever if you stand on the edge, which you never do. Normally you keep your feet centered, probably within 10" of center. If you put a bar 50" off the bottom, than that is 5x the normal moment arm.

I have a sportspal like described, 13' flat back, and it has substantially less primary stability than my true flat bottom hybrid duck boat which is basically a 9' long x 36" square on the bottom, widening to a full 44" at the waterline. I have not shot out of that canoe yet; I don't even like to stand in it for poling.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts