BowFishing Country banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running an Alweld and am having an issue with ANY chop on the water making the brackets on my LED's break. Currently I have a light rail made from aluminum angle and all of the slapping against the flat bottom is being transferred to the rail (making it shake) and then the lights. This has caused some of my brackets to break where the bolts go through.

aside from selling the boat and buying a seaark with a mod-v to help split the chop, what can I do to stop this?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Lots of folks running flat bottomed Alwelds that are not having a problem with their light rails breaking. That should suggest that the real problem is the light rail or how the lights are attached to it. It sounds as if there is enough flex in the rail material or enough torque against it from the lights to fatigue and break your rails. Lot cheaper to brace up or replace your light rail or change how you mount the lights on it than starting over with a new boat.

That being said, if this thread is intended as proof to the wife that you need a new boat, just let me know and I'll delete my post with apologies! :D

·
Premium Member
7,657 Posts
Heavier brackets and/or drill the mounting holes out to edges of bracket where they bend to go down, most factory holes are space about 1/4 to 1/3 in from edges and allow brackets to flex

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the brackets are cracking where the bolts attach to the rail, not the light

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Thicker brackets like everyone else said.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I made my brackets come straight down from the rail and welded them, no bolts, just a straight bracket no way to flex you might try that

1 - 10 of 10 Posts