BowFishing Country banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you with custom housings have the broken glass issues? I've had the street light hps versions for 8 years and never had a problem, but went out on a boat the other night that constantly has to change glass out. He changed two before we left and they were broke when we loaded the boat back up. I was leaning toward custom but if that's the case I may just transfer my old lights to my new ride.

·
Registered
313 Posts
How many of you with custom housings have the broken glass issues? I've had the street light hps versions for 8 years and never had a problem, but went out on a boat the other night that constantly has to change glass out. He changed two before we left and they were broke when we loaded the boat back up. I was leaning toward custom but if that's the case I may just transfer my old lights to my new ride.
I built housings and don't run glass. If you are breaking glass you can get thicker glass online already cut for pretty cheap.

·
Registered
529 Posts
If the edges of the glass are tightly touching the frame or housing they will break everytime. Frame should be slightly (1/16") bigger than the outer dimension of the glass, and should not be touching the housing when bolted on. As Kymike said adhere the glass with silicone and it will allow the aluminum and glass to expand/retract independently of each other.

Use tempered glass as well.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Never had broken glass issue. I'm betting he's not using tempered glass.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
What if I said it's possible to have regular 1/8" glass in housings and it'll be fine??? I mean there's about 50 of my housings out there that has regular glass and they haven't broke... This will be the 4th year. And if you do decide to ram a stump in to it you'll be able to go to any glass store in any town and have a piece cut for 5-8 bucks...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts