BowFishing Country banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do all ospreys from the custom shop come standard with stainless hardware? I sent an e-mail to their customer support line probably last Wednesday and still haven’t gotten a response.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
I know WHY they supposedly don’t use SS for limb bolts (strength), but I’ve been using em on my hunting bow for quite awhile now and they are PLENTY strong enough!

The tensile and shear strength both arent that much lower on SS vs mild/carbon steel, so I’m not really sure what the deal is?

Actually, it just popped into my head that maybe it’s due to galling? Seeing how we are always messing with our draw weight, that might gum up SS bolts over time if the aluminum riser doesn’t have a steel cross bar to anchor into. I haven’t looked at the new Ospreys to see if they have a steel cross bar, but it wouldn’t be hard to add em in.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I know WHY they supposedly don’t use SS for limb bolts (strength), but I’ve been using em on my hunting bow for quite awhile now and they are PLENTY strong enough!

The tensile and shear strength both arent that much lower on SS vs mild/carbon steel, so I’m not really sure what the deal is?

Actually, it just popped into my head that maybe it’s due to galling? Seeing how we are always messing with our draw weight, that might gum up SS bolts over time if the aluminum riser doesn’t have a steel cross bar to anchor into. I haven’t looked at the new Ospreys to see if they have a steel cross bar, but it wouldn’t be hard to add em in.
Pretty sure the limb bolt holes are just like the rest of them with heli-coils

·
Registered
462 Posts
Pretty sure the limb bolt holes are just like the rest of them with heli-coils
It is to prevent galling. I imagine they have helicoils but don't remember for sure. Gonna pull mine soon and will try to remember to look. Oneida is now coating their limb bolts to make them rust resistant.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts