BowFishing Country banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are a lot of really great builds on this site. I've been fabricating items for a long time and I truly realize what kind of talent it takes to do work like this. A lot of thought and planning takes place. Carp Commander, The Carp Commander, Rambo to name a few and many others spend a lot of time on their respective builds and it's obvious in the end product. The one thing that is missing from most all these builds that I've noticed is a lack of showing what goes into the details. One of you guys needs to do a thread on how to do rigging, or a "how to" on what it takes to make hatch covers, etc.. The devil is in the details fellas and I know there are others who'd like to see some of the same things I've mentioned. This being said if there is something you'd like to see how it's made this is the thread that you can use to have your voice heard.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
The problem with showing detail is it would make everything you do twice as long, making videos and telling people what your thought process was when making it, is not a easy thing to do. Rambo would prob have his boat done by now if he didnt have to worry about getting most of it on video. But I do agree with you it would be nice to see detail. It is something that we just dont think about when we are in the zone.

·
Premium Member
14,260 Posts
:D

Something like this?

Specs:
Length = 12'
Bottom = 5'
Beam = 6.5'
Sides = 24"
1/8" construction
1x2x 3/16" T-bar runners
6' Flush Deck
Double Crimped Sides
Triple Crimped Airboat Chines w/ 30 deg total angle on each side
4 1/2' Rake
1 1/2" Rounded Bottom

·
Registered
152 Posts
There are a lot of really great builds on this site. I've been fabricating items for a long time and I truly realize what kind of talent it takes to do work like this. A lot of thought and planning takes place. Carp Commander, The Carp Commander, Rambo to name a few and many others spend a lot of time on their respective builds and it's obvious in the end product. The one thing that is missing from most all these builds that I've noticed is a lack of showing what goes into the details. One of you guys needs to do a thread on how to do rigging, or a "how to" on what it takes to make hatch covers, etc.. The devil is in the details fellas and I know there are others who'd like to see some of the same things I've mentioned. This being said if there is something you'd like to see how it's made this is the thread that you can use to have your voice heard.
I understand how you feel. When I was trying to decide weather or not to do my build, I was wishing there was something out there like that. I decided I would have to just jump into it and try. I am not following any plans. I got some measurments on cutting my rake from Rambo (thanks again). But besides that, the rest of the build was just looking at builds on this forum. That is about the only reason I have posted on this forum is because watching other guys do their build helped me gain the courage to build one myself. I also bought a book on Amazon call boat building with aluminum which also helped. If you are looking for more of the details on plans, you usually have to pay for those. Everything I have done, I have just winged it. I started with a small boat 8x60 fan. I built it because I wanted to spend as little as possible just so I could see if I could build something that floats. I was basically testing the waters so to speak. After I built that boat which cost me very little, I decided to build my big boat. I feel like I am pretty handy and I am always wiling to try things just to see if I can do it. If it wasn't for this site, I would not have tried to build a boat. If I couldn't have seen the pictures of the process as others were doing their builds, I wouldn't have tried. It is pretty sad to see this site diminishing in numbers because I feel like there are people like me who are missing out on awesome opportunities like building aluminum boats from scratch. I built this boat because I love to bowfish. As I follow others posts, I feel in a way I get to know the guys on this site. I have even called several of the people and asked them questions. I am glad there are cool guys out there willing to share their information. Although I am no expert when it comes to the talent of building boats, I have enjoyed doing it thoroughly. I am willing to give anyone any of the information that I have used when building my boat. PM me and I will even give you my number if you want to talk about the process of building a boat and some of the mistakes I made and some of the things I like and dislike about my boat build so far. I know its not exactly what you are asking for, but the details come from within. That is what makes it custom. Let me know if I can help.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, appreciate the replies. There are lots of things that people, myself included that I'd like to see. Anyone know how to make lighting fixtures? Post up some info. Have you bent up some air boat style light fixtures? What did you do? Not generic answers like, I bent them up. What angles did you use? How deep are they and so on? This is the kind of thing that lots of young builders lack, information. Simple things like consoles are really hard for some folks.

Mud, just an example, you stated for example that your boat has 24" sides. I have wondered from time to time just how you guys are measuring that. I don't want to get into too much detail but if you looked at a picture of a right triangle for example, are you referring to the longest side (hypotenuse) or the vertical side?

I was looking at a article today about a Stealth Eagle with Black Eagle cams. Again, it lacks some details such as why were those cams from the Black Eagle used? What makes them better??? Did the riser have to be machined to accept them?

I guess what I'll have to do is just start playing 50 questions with everyone.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Yeah, I'd say Rambo has went further than any of us would. I'd never get anything done if I was filming or documenting everything. Most of it is a "hey, wonder if that'll work" type of deal. Good luck bud.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I have posted a couple of build threads and it is a huge PITA!!!!
And I just did pics and some writing. I agree with Phillips, I truly believe that the CarpCommanders and Rambos of this board would be done w their builds or at least closer to it if they weren't documenting all of it for others. I hope everybody appreciates these build threads. I have built several boats from the ground up since my last build thread posted on here and haven't taken a pic one except for the completed boat. Ain't nobody got time fo dat!

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
It's very difficult to take decades of experience in fabrication and condense it into a palatable 10 minute youtube video.

Some stuff can be taught that way. Rambo is doing a much better job than most do.

When I use the press brake at work it usually takes me just a few minutes to set up and program, that's experience. It takes me several hours to show a new guy how to set it up and program properly, to make the same simple brake.

Best way to learn is to try things and fail. Those lesson seem to stick.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
It takes more money, more time, and more knowledge to rig one than it does to build a hull. Switches, breakers, gauges, lights, thru hull fittings, pumps, brackets, wire, batteries, hinges, latches, battery boxes, fire extinguisher, pods, etc, etc. If you can fabricate and weld, a hull will not be difficult. As evidenced in Rainbows videos, to build it all, you have to become an expert at every aspect of the project. That is the difficult and time consuming part. One off boats are just that. Rambo has been more than generous sharing his build. He's shown his successes as well as the failures, and has included quite a bit of insight into his thought process and how difficult the learning curve can be. Definitely be prepared to pay some "stupid tax" if you tackle one. Everything won't work like you plan.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts