BowFishing Country banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm using a muzzy arrow with the trochanter style point, and I like it cause I can freshen up the point with a rounded file when it gets dull, and on other gear I have AMS arrows with an AMS point, it's like a helical point, but it's a hardened point and my files won't touch it, let alone trying to follow the pattern of the spiral, helical point.

So I picked up some muzzy carp points, they are sharp and look to be easy to sharpen, and reading the package it says they're best for carp and other soft skinned fish, I've shot plenty of gar with them, but is one point better than another or is it like deer hunting broad heads, just one of those endless debates?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Of all the points I've shot the ams sure shot seems to do the best for me, I always sharpen it and all my other points after a trip on a bench grinder, works well for me

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just figured sharp is sharp, and that a different styled point wouldn't make a huge difference. All points seem to be pretty stout and if sharp, should work equally well? Ive only used simple muzzy, AMS, and now PSE fish sticks. Can't really say one is better than the other and I have no complaints. The one complaint I DO have, is some arrow I bought that had folding barbs/blades that laid down in these grooves in the arrow tip housing. It had a black doughnut slide looking thing and looked snazzy. I think it was a Cajun arrow? Anyways, three or four shots and the nock was loose. After every shot the point had to be re-tightened, the bumper near the nock came off, just an all around POS.

Ive only been seriously bowfishing for about a year, and bowfishing hard. My experience with various equipment is limited as I usually stick (ha ha see what I did there) with what works, but always looking for a better mouse trap.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Never been too picky about the points as long as theyre decently sharp. We usually grind our point sharp again. With the helical ams ones we don't worry about following the pattern on them

·
Registered
251 Posts
Rpm is the only way to go. Great products and great service.

·
Premium Member
10,929 Posts
i main go to point anymore is muzzy. i do love the gene davis tips but cant get em anymore

·
Registered
984 Posts
why can't you get Gene Davis anymore? I mainly use muzzy or GD i have about 3 of each tip too

·
Registered
984 Posts
bowfishing extreme has them

·
Registered
462 Posts
Points can make all the difference in the world. It's at the extremes where it matters: deep water, long shots, tough fish, etc.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts