BowFishing Country banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am no expert but I get hammered almost weekly on FB and text on how I did my lighting... I am sure this is on here already but when I get asked I can just send this link moving forward...lol also if any experts want to share there thoughts go for it...

Digital Light Setup
I have put this in the order you would assemble. Pictures provided are what products I used and work for me. I have $165.00 in each light setup.

1st Housings… Custom housing are the way to go… there are several guys around the county that make these and range in price from $65.00 to $100.00, they are pretty much a alum box with an alum framed door with glass… some come painted white inside already (been proven to show the light bounces off the white better than bare alum or polished alum… some have hinges/latches and some have rivnuts / bolts… If you want to just be a dirt azz then go buy some Alum mud pans from HD… (they work just fine) or you can sweet talk your buddy that can break alum sheet and weld to make you some… how many is up to you… 4 housings set at 400w have plenty of coverage for my 7 x 7ft deck…

Lamps or Bulbs - 1st off I want to say you get what you pay for… if you buy a name brand well repeatable bulb you’re going to get something that will hold up to the abuse and vibration… these lamps where not meant to be put on vehicles… also a little high temp silicone on the thread base and socket will keep them from backing out… HPS are a Warm Orange glow and best for muddy water… MH are a brite white glow and best for clear water… when shopping for lamps be sure to get a pulse start type and something that is a universal burn position…

Lamp Socket or Mogul Base Size (E39) – you will bolt this to the housing… your lamp or bulb will screw into this… comes with two wires and you will want to drill a hole in the housing so those wires can come out and be tied to the lamp cord.

Lamp Cord – pretty simple this cord is wired to the Socket and plugs into the female outlet on the ballast some ballast have just an outlet and some come with a cord and female plug… keep in mind there are two types of female plugs so find out what type you need before you buy your
lamp cord… they are BAASR and BAASP. Again if you want to be a dirt azz and don’t care if you void your ballast warranty you can always cut the plug and use some wire or you can rewire with a standard Male-Female plug…

Ballast… there are all kinds of ballast on the market… you option on what you want to pay and what you are looking for… some are dimmable and some are not… some are sealed and work better for what we are doing with them and some have fans to help cool them down… I was a dirt azz on this and bought the cheapest I could find… so far it has worked for me and I got a 3 year warranty and they are dimmable.

Ballast power supply cord – some ballast come with them… Mine did so I really have nothing to say on the topic… it pretty much is a Computer power cord… pretty standard…

Ballast Placement… some run it under there deck exposed – some put them in a storage box – some make a ballast box and make switches and run PC fans – some just bolt them under the console… do what best for you… I had a simple box made that the lid bolts under the deck and then the bottom can be removed… my ballast bolt to the lid so I just removed the bottom and plug everything in… more of a travel box than anything else…

Supplying power- this is how I am doing it… I have two 2000w Yamaha Inverters… I run a power supply cord to each one. Then that cord goes to a set of outlets in an outdoor outlet box… I simply plug in my power cords to my ballast to the outdoor outlets and boom I have light… if I want to shut of one light I just pull the plug… some guys run switches and get all fancy on the wiring… I kept it simple

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
here are my housings I had made by a buddy that makes these from E. Idaho... come with the glass and hangers for 65.00

20160403_144113_resized_1.jpg

·
Registered
968 Posts
nice work. This will help a lot of people

1 - 9 of 9 Posts