BowFishing Country banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I was perusing (big word for me) my favorite website http://www.rpmbowfishing.com/ and I always take a peak at what was on clearance like all guys do and bonus!!!! The very straight, super stiff, highly durable RPM Shaft with sister company VooDoo Bowfishing tips for only $6.99. Not sure how many they have but this is for sure a deal. Check them out.

http://www.rpmbowfishing.com/close-out/

Normally $9.99 just for the shaft - http://www.rpmbowfishing.com/hazard/
This thing is hazardous – to fish, that is! Strong carbon encapsulated fiber strands are wrapped inside a fiberglass outer sleeve, lending strength and stiffness while decreasing deflection. The 1,200-grain Hazard features a grey shaft with black wraps.

Encapsulated carbon strands for added spine
1,200-grain weight
32-inch length

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Thanks for heads up just ordered a few. To be honest I havnt had the best if luck with the first order of arrows I got from rpm but for that price figured they are worth a second chance

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Shipping was reasonable too...I went ahead and ordered some. That was a good sell jb, because I really don't have a need for them other than curiosity.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shipping was reasonable too...I went ahead and ordered some. That was a good sell jb, because I really don't have a need for them other than curiosity.
Like you said, can't beat price. That's less than a Pro-Staff or Dealer can buy them for. It's a great Shaft and pretty sure you will like the Voo Doo tips.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Hhmmmm lost to many fish on the last rpm arrow I bought, this looks a little more promising. I think I'll grab a couple

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hhmmmm lost to many fish on the last rpm arrow I bought, this looks a little more promising. I think I'll grab a couple
Not sure what tip you used BUT the beauty on the APS (all point system) ferrul already glued on is that you can unscrew the point and put any other RPM tip on the ferrule. If you don't like quick release points, try the RPM DS3 or DS4 (Deep Stage 4 barb)... this is my go to for tournaments, it does not turn loose until you take entire tip off. Kind of a Gene Davis on Steroids I think. You can order the tip and not the ferrule since the arrows have the ferrule on them.

Thanks -

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Not sure what tip you used BUT the beauty on the APS (all point system) ferrul already glued on is that you can unscrew the point and put any other RPM tip on the ferrule. If you don't like quick release points, try the RPM DS3 or DS4 (Deep Stage 4 barb)... this is my go to for tournaments, it does not turn loose until you take entire tip off. Kind of a Gene Davis on Steroids I think. You can order the tip and not the ferrule since the arrows have the ferrule on them.

Thanks -
Ok, thanks, I was shooting a mini fathom, was thinking about getting some of the hex hazards, any experience with that point?

·
Registered
2,102 Posts

Thanks -
The problem I see with rpm tips, first order I got the barbs bent way to easily. Hear they are making them with stonger steel now. But doesn't fix the second problem that the design isn't the best. The barbs are set to far back from the tip. Matched with long barbs you need a lot of penetration before the barbs even fully enter the fish. Isn't a problem for southern guys but sometimes I'm shooting 6ft plus in cold water at 30-40 lb commons

·
Registered
236 Posts
As for the barbs they were fixed a while ago. As for #2. The Fathom point is right behind the point. It actually uses the point to keep it from reversing. The Octane point is only 1/8" behind that and uses the ferrule to release the barbs and allow reversal. If you can't pen an extra 1/8" sounds like you need to up the poundage on your bow.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, thanks, I was shooting a mini fathom, was thinking about getting some of the hex hazards, any experience with that point?
The VooDoo Hex is much like the RPM NOS (Nasty on Scales) and yes I have. It is one of my favorite shallow water soft side fish holding tips and features the twist arrow/ferrule quick release tips. Insane holding power due to the width of the barbs when deployed on the pass through and a super Grassie tip due to their soft skin.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
The VooDoo Hex is much like the RPM NOS (Nasty on Scales) and yes I have. It is one of my favorite shallow water soft side fish holding tips and features the twist arrow/ferrule quick release tips. Insane holding power due to the width of the barbs when deployed on the pass through and a super Grassie tip due to their soft skin.
Ok, thanks. I think I'll grab a couple

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
As for the barbs they were fixed a while ago. As for #2. The Fathom point is right behind the point. It actually uses the point to keep it from reversing. The Octane point is only 1/8" behind that and uses the ferrule to release the barbs and allow reversal. If you can't pen an extra 1/8" sounds like you need to up the poundage on your bow.
The barbs on those points are 1 1/8th" you could cut those in half, make a smaller hole and increase the holding power plus make it easier to penetrate is all I'm saying. Till you fish in upstate new York or the great Lakes you wouldn't understand how tough the carp are.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I wish that were the case jb. Got the arrows today, and some instant buyer's remorse. I really do hate internet shopping. The Hex arrows I received DO NOT come off arrows to interchange like they should. Instead they have a punch mark blocking the thread, and limiting movement from tight to 2-1/2 revs out. The punch mark is not present in the pic on the website, and I expected points to interchange. I basically ordered them for the shaft/ferrule.

The arrows look okay otherwise. Not sure what was used to attach point, but does not look like epoxy. Maybe super glue? The shurshot clones look okay and interchanges heads properly. Metal looks a little...shiny/plated/cheap. The tips come to a flat wedge. Not happy at all about those punch marks. I might be able to tighten the point and drill them out so the point will back off.

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have no affiliation with RPM but will say for the price of these arrows they simply can't be beat. I've been shooting them this spring and summer and am impressed. In fact I'm going to order more. I've shot 20-30lb commons and buffs and have had no problems with the holding power of these arrows. The shafts are relatively straight again at this price point they have exceeded my expectations.
View attachment 201905
View attachment 201913
View attachment 201921
CD

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I drilled out the punch marks and they de-couple properly now. Cut a saw blade width into a scrap 2x4 to bury the barb so the punch mark is up at 12oc. Lightly used a counter bore in drill press on the punch mark. Then a small bit....prolly was a 3/32 to drill it out. Go real easy as the metal is soft and thin. The hole will possibly let a little more dirt in the threads when using that tip but I doubt anything noticeable.

The shurshot clones did not have the punch mark; just the sting-a-ree clones have it.

What I thought was shiny super glue residue on the outside is actually the very thin plating peeling off. So maybe the heads are epoxied on after all. The arrows skins/laminate look nice and smooth. I'll probably have to paint mine white then fluorescent. Or maybe just fluoro over the pattern would look cool. I used to do some fancy stuff, not so much of late. I like bright. I can get away with that since I don't use slides - too thick a paint coat will inhibit slides.

Thanks for the heads up JB. Even though I got a little miffed within a minute of opening the package :D. I am curious how these hazard arrows will shoot on our bows.

·
Registered
13,949 Posts
The barbs on those points are 1 1/8th" you could cut those in half, make a smaller hole and increase the holding power plus make it easier to penetrate is all I'm saying. Till you fish in upstate new York or the great Lakes you wouldn't understand how tough the carp are.
:laugh:tougher than Cali Armored Carp huh?

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
:laugh:tougher than Cali Armored Carp huh?
Can't say if they are tougher as I've never shot cali bUT when guys laugh at you for shooting a heavy draw weight and don't believe you how tough those carp can be I nod my head I'm agreement. One time shooring lake erie we came up on on a good 35 maybe 40 lb carp. With her slowly swimming at the bow of the boat about 2ft straight down 3 of us shot at the same time and watched her take off. 3 for 3 all shooting 40-45lbs all center punched a scale and got 0 penetration

1 - 20 of 35 Posts