BowFishing Country banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my honda 9.9 doesn't have a steer tube and I'm sick of dealing with the powertran add-on tube because it is just in the way of tilt and whatnot. Anyway, the actual transom mount has holes big enough for a steer tube it just came with spacers put in. However, the actual piece that is between the transom mount and attached to the motor(I think it is called the swivel mount/shaft) only has about a 3/8" hole for a steel bar. Has anyone ever drilled one out to add a tilt tube? Anyone see any problem with doing so? It has plenty of extra space around the 3/8 hole to bore it out.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Sounds logical but I have zero idea what you are trying to describe. Lol. Post some pics man.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
The problem with this is the motor will have to be taken apart. There should be a big bolt that runs through there holding everything together or a pin. That pin or whatever is holding it together will have to come out. Then you would have to drill it out to I believe a 5/8" hole which will take alot of the material out. So what you have to think about here is your taking out a solid piece holding this motor together and replacing with a hollow piece. If you look at a remote model motor you will see how much thicker that mount/tude area is. I looked into this and just didnt think it would be safe.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The problem with this is the motor will have to be taken apart. There should be a big bolt that runs through there holding everything together or a pin. That pin or whatever is holding it together will have to come out. Then you would have to drill it out to I believe a 5/8" hole which will take alot of the material out. So what you have to think about here is your taking out a solid piece holding this motor together and replacing with a hollow piece. If you look at a remote model motor you will see how much thicker that mount/tude area is. I looked into this and just didnt think it would be safe.

I hear ya. That's kinda what I was looking for. I might just buy the swivel case for the remote model and put that on. Still requires taking the entire block off the case but might be worth it.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Here's a little rule of thumb. If you drill a 3/8 inch hole you want it to be a minimum of 3/8 inch from the edge of what ever you're drilling. That's if it's steel. If it's a softer material you have to allow for that by increasing the distance from the edge.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Nailed it^^^^. Same here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts