BowFishing Country banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure you guys get a million of these. I suck with google and couldn't find my answer. I suck even more with electricity!

I'm looking to have a light box built for the front of my boat, and run a long power strip inside of the boxes behind the lights to plug Viugreum 100W floods into. Here is the strip i planned to use.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200323698_200323698

i want to run 1 power strip in each side of the boat (the boxes will be split in 2 for the trolling motor) and run 2 heavy extension cords (one for each bank) to the back of the boat to my generator. How many 100W lights can i run at once using this method and a honda EU2000 generator? I was hoping to fit 10 in there, but the genny may be the limiting factor. or possibly my jerry rig power strips to supply that many lights at once. like i said, i'm an electrical moron.

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
140 Posts
tl;dr - you can safely run 16, 100 watt lights with that setup, but no room for anything else. explanation below.

Lets start with the power strip: Specs rate it at 1,875 watts. However, 14 gauge wire is max rated at 1800 watts, so lets use that number for our purpose. Divide that by 100 watts per light, means theoretically you can run 18 lights per strip (though there are only 12 outlets) at 100% load. Take that number down to a safe 80% running wattage pull, and you get 1440 watts, or 14 lights (1440 / 100). I don't see what the breaker is rated for, but typically 14 gauge circuits have 15 amp breakers. Joule's Law tells us 100 watt light at 120v pulls 0.83 amps (you can confirm this on your light fixture) which means if you had 14 lights each at .83 amps, you'd be pulling 11.62 amps which is lower than the 80% safety threshold of 12 amps. Anyone feel free to check my math, but that means each strip can safely handle up to 14 lights (should you decide to add a splitter for more).

Extension Cord: you can easily buy a 25', 14 ga extension cord rated the exact same as your power strip, but i definitely wouldn't go any smaller. here's an example to verify specs https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-25-ft-14-3-Indoor-Outdoor-Extension-Cord-Red-and-Black-HD-277-533/100650642

Generator: Lastly, and just as importantly, your honda has a 2000 watt peak, but I believe it's only rated at 1600 watt continuous power. you don't/can't run that genie at peak power. Really, running it at 1600 also won't leave you hardly any room for future add ons without risk of tripping its breaker. but best case scenario, say you can have 16, 100 watt lights (16 lights x 100 watts each = 1600 watts). It's also rated for 13.5 amps, so you're coming close to the rating (.83 amps/light x 16 lights) at 13.28 amps. So if you're splitting that genie between both banks, that means you'll only be able to run 8 lights on each side, just short of your 10 light target. It also means you probably want to turn each bank on one at a time to avoid spikes that might trip the genie's breaker.

Hope this helped!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not only did you answer my question, I actually learned something from it. I had no clue what size extension cords to buy, i was just going to go big and hope for the best. The power strip was also a shot in the dark hoping nothing melted. I feel much better about the setup now.Thank you! 5 lights on each power strip was the goal.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Not only did you answer my question, I actually learned something from it. I had no clue what size extension cords to buy, i was just going to go big and hope for the best. The power strip was also a shot in the dark hoping nothing melted. I feel much better about the setup now.Thank you! 5 lights on each power strip was the goal.
Excellent! Good luck with the new setup!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts