BowFishing Country banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure that to the initiated there's a very obvious & simple reason, bu for the lifeof me I don't know the answer to this;

Is there any reason why MH blubs wouldn't work in HPS housings (with all the guts inact) ?

·
Electrocutioner
6,622 Posts
I'm sure that to the initiated there's a very obvious & simple reason, bu for the lifeof me I don't know the answer to this;

Is there any reason why MH blubs wouldn't work in HPS housings (with all the guts inact) ?
"Any digital or magnetic hps ballast will run the same wattage probe start m/h bulb. Neither digital nor magnetic ballasts will run pulse start m/h bulbs without adding a pulsor." From another thread---

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, OK. Does that mean I could run probe start MH bulbs, but not pulse start? What's the difference?

Thanks OBG, I really appreciate your help!

·
Electrocutioner
6,622 Posts
Oh, OK. Does that mean I could run probe start MH bulbs, but not pulse start? What's the difference?

Thanks OBG, I really appreciate your help!
Pulse start requires a seperate pulsor/ignitor to fire. Don't bother with looking for 150 watt probe start M/H bulbs since they have been discontinued due to a government mandate. 250 watt and above are still available though.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
OBG is the man on this stuff!!I get confused on the word lights. LOL!!

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Don't forget that MH's are not always the same size as HPS's. A 400w mogul base MH is HUGE compared to a 400w mogul base HPS. You may not have the clearance in your fixture. But if you have a medium base fixture, the bulbs are much smaller.

I

·
0 Posts
Don't forget that MH's are not always the same size as HPS's. A 400w mogul base MH is HUGE compared to a 400w mogul base HPS. You may not have the clearance in your fixture. But if you have a medium base fixture, the bulbs are much smaller.
Very true, in order to do so, you will have to find the reduced fixture mogul base MH, or the tube type bulbs that are made for aquariums. I found that those tube style MH have a very short life span on the front of a boat though.

JP, do you know the length of the 400hps bulb off the top of your head? I am pretty sure they will fit in my housings, but before I make plans and spend the $$$ to convert my lights to hps, I need to make sure the bulbs will fit in what I got...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts