BowFishing Country banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm attaching a few pics of before and after. I had a crack in my hull right above the tow loop and brought it to a fab shop to be TIG'd. They said they would TIG it and I got back what is pictured. I didn't take a pic when it wasn't against the roller so I hope you can give input based on what you see. They said since they "couldn't access" the inside, they doubled up on the exterior TIG. And used clean burning helium instead of argon??? Did I get F'd? Please let me know if this is a spool gun weld or TIG ASAP. They charged me $175. I paid with a check, so if I did get F'd I'm going to cancel it.

·
Premium Member
7,652 Posts
May be the pic but looks like it's cracked on bow hook on opposite side of where they welded......

Not an experienced welder but about to buy one and from what I've been told by Miller rep and have read pure Argon is what's used for doing aluminum ....

My local fab shop would have been about $25-30 bucks to do something that size, only charged $200 to weld up our light rails and trolling mount as well as weld them to the boat...I bought aluminum and had all pieces cut...

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Well that's not how I would have repaired it. I would have welded up the cracks, cleaned those welds up then laminate a second layer of aluminum sheet metal over the affected area and weld that solid. It's been my experience once aluminum gets fatigued it in that fashion to simply weld it doesn't fully solve the problem. It may come apart again.

I don't know what labor rates are in your area, might be a little high.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
If you quit running around 66 mph on the water, it'd probably last a lot longer. You're just lucky it didn't vaporize the hull at that speed! Lol

Seriously, what Gary said. That's a TIG weld, but it's gonna break.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
May be the pic but looks like it's cracked on how hook on opposite side of where the welded......

Not an experienced welder but about to buy one and from what I've been told by Miller rep and have read pure Argon is what's used for doing aluminum ....

My local fab shop would have been about $25-30 bucks to do something that size, only charged $200 to weld up our light rails and trolling mount as well as weld them to the boat...I bought aluminum and had all pieces cut...
I'm selling my 211 if you are interested. Got a couple spool guns with it.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Well that's not how I would have repaired it. I would have welded up the cracks, cleaned those welds up then laminate a second layer of aluminum sheet metal over the affected area and weld that solid. It's been my experience once aluminum gets fatigued it in that fashion to simply weld it doesn't fully solve the problem. It may come apart again.

I don't know what labor rates are in your area, might be a little high.
This is exactly how I would have done it, or how it should have been done. It looks like a 10 year old tried welding with a spool gun for the first time with their eyes closed. I would cancel the check and get that chit figured out. For almost 200$ you should've gotten back something that looks a hell of lot better than that.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
how my shop fixed mine. Don't know what it cost me as they did a much bigger job at the same time and gave me one price.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
This is exactly how I would have done it, or how it should have been done. It looks like a 10 year old tried welding with a spool gun for the first time with their eyes closed. I would cancel the check and get that chit figured out. For almost 200$ you should've gotten back something that looks a hell of lot better than that.
I wouldn't go that far but I agree it's not perfect. The material is odviously thin and fatigued.

If I had to guess I'd say the made a few cold passes to build up material, then came back and did a pretty pass to wash it all togoether.

That's a legitimate technique I've used myself, however I'd never do that on a hull that's subject to massive amounts of vibration.

Always strongback it with a second layer of material when possible.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
If it were me I would've considered cutting out the entire Crack then welding a piece over it. A Crack could still grow with a few welding beads on it, might not grow as wide but I still think there are better ways of doing it compared to what they did. (but I'm no master welder)

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You can't get behind the eye from the inside. There is a plate welded over it under the factory deck. I'll try to snap a pic of it tomorrow

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Y'all already know my answer on how I woulda repaired it :laugh: :laugh:

At the MINIMUM, they shoulda bent a piece of 1/8" into a 'V' and welded it over top of that crimp. I don't think it's ethical to cancel your check, after all they did put in some work. You never know what kinda prep they had to do before they welded. Aluminum can be super finicky depending on alloy, age, and contaminants.

Honestly if you weren't satisfied with the work, the time to address it woulda been upon delivery if the finished product, not after you've already taken it home. I'd take it back to them, and tell them you're not satisfied. Possibly show them this thread. They may be willing to work with you, who knows?

If they tell you to get bent, well...hook em up...:shh:

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Just looked at the pics a bit closer-they did a piss poor job. I'd demand some of my money back. That's rediculous.

·
Registered
34 Posts
You can't get behind the eye from the inside. There is a plate welded over it under the factory deck. I'll try to snap a pic of it tomorrow
I think he meant below, not behind. It may just be the picture, I debated back and forth if it was a scratch or a crack (or start there of), until the comment was posted.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts